1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For what it's worth, CNHIers:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm told by someone higher up on totem pole whom I trust that our favorite stomping grounds are being monitored by Birmingham, looking for "reasons" to thin the herd.

Be careful out there, everyone.

2. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

I've worked for 3 different national newspaper chains and CNHI was, by far, the worst - the worst in foresight and initiative in its treatment of employees, its health care coverage and costs ... I could go on and on.

The CNHI paper I left recently - well, except for closing its doors for good (and those rumors already are out there) it didn't seem, at the time I left a handful of months ago, there was much else management could to do lower newsroom morale.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Nationwide or at particular shops? Our last round of layoffs there was a rumor about a corporate ratio for bodies per circulation but that was never official.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Doesn't matter. He's telling you to CYA here.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Bingo!

6. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

It's the first thing that pops up in any Google search for "cnhi furlough."

7. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

From what I've heard, it's official. Or as close as official can get.

At a particular CNHI shop I'm very familiar with, there haven't been any hires to replace four or five departees over the past year. And they don't plan on filling the positions, ever. Just pile the extra work on the people still there while using improper (to put it lightly) practices involving "freelancers." CNHI is trying to get that "staff" ratio down to what it considers par.

8. If "freelancers" are working in the offices, that's a Dept. of Labor violation. And it brings big financial penalties, as in fines. Our place (and many others) had to amend those practices.

Draft saved Draft deleted