1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For what do you marvel at humankind?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

(hey tie it with their fingers beforehand and hit it under their tongues. That may explain Boom's confusing lack of tongal dexterity in other areas.)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That our amazing ability for compassion (which produced people such as Mother Teresea) resides in the same species that produced Hitler, Stalin and others capable of extreme cruelty.

And the ability to roll a tongue.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

30,000,000 commercial planes will be in the air this year, many going halfway around the world.

About 29,999,993 of them will land safely.

For as much crap as the industry takes on this board, remember those numbers.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's hard to think about sometimes. Just everything ... how we went from rocks and sticks to laptops and cell phones and tiny little computers, or even how we went from gears and levers 100 years ago to that stuff — it kind of boggles my mind.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Music. That we went from banging rocks together to Mahler's Fifth Symphony, Mozart's "Die Nozze di Figaro", Gershwin and the Beatles.

That for all the bad things that happen, people are capable of the most astonishing acts of kindness and generosity.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Communication. What once took weeks through the limitations of wind, sail and horses' fatigue can now be accomplished in a matter of milliseconds and keystrokes.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Opposable thumbs, plus the ability to rotate your hand from palm-up to palm-down. Think of all the things you couldn't two without those two traits.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Air travel and, to a greater extent, space travel. Every time I take off in a plane I'm fascinated at all the processes, trials and errors that went into that takeoff. And I can't get enough of looking out the window at the ground below.

I hope to live long enough to see commercial space travel (or at least become wealthy enough to blow a few million on exiting the atmosphere).

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Love.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Air travel. Whenever I'm at an airport, I'm amazed that this all comes together every day and you can get from one coast to the other in a matter of hours.

The Internet/Google. I have access to a library wherever I have an Internet connection. Type a couple of key words into Google and the information I need is almost always there.

New York City. It's a marvel.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Add to that: Wiki-fucking-pedia.

When's the last time anybody ever opened up a volume of Britannica? I remember loving when those encyclopedias showed up on CD-ROM in my house back in 1994ish. Now, I couldn't imagine popping one of those in the computer to look something up. I can hit up Wiki on my phone in a matter of seconds.

Also: Baseball-reference.com and Retrosheet.com. To have all that information so readily available, and easily searchable, has changed the world.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I've been watching NASA TV a lot lately while the astronauts have been assembling the space robot and I'm awed not only by what those brave souls are doing up there, but also by the fact that technology is to the point where I can watch them do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted