1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who've left the biz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you still read your old paper?

I've been out for a few months and I struggle to get through the section now. I see a mistake or a poorly-worded sentence and it depresses me. Today I read a blog post that misspelled the first name of the football coach at State U.

A friend of mine who left the business years ago said you go through a stage like this. But it will lessen. You'll still see errors, but it won't piss you off. Is that right?

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Inky, I haven't read my former paper since I moved (same state, different county). And while I miss what it used to be, I don't miss the current product at all.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I read most of the coverage every day.

The actual paper? Sunday when the coupons come.

I'm five years out and remain good friends with a few of the writers. I send my observations now and then, hoping I carry the weight of a former colleague and not just some old dude bitching over coffee.

P.S. I still get harangued on a regular basis when my former workplace covers something that isn't to the liking of one of my non-newspaper friends.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I will not give one cent to those who crafted my doom.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Moved out of state and don't seek it out. The previous one has been 6 feet under going on six years.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Read them only rarely. And I don't pay for them.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I did for about a year.

Then it had mass layoffs, and wasn't nearly the same anymore.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was an AP staffer so I've sadly watched it wither away the past 10-15 years. I still pay attention to my former bureaus' reports and follow friends' bylines.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I avoid it. The last time I picked it up after a game, I saw they traveled two people to a game. When I was there it was usually 5-6. The one guy who was there when I was is great, but they have him doing so much that he can't be very effective.

10. busch

busch Member

I never buy the actual paper (which now comes out only three days a week). Read it online at times but, for the most part, it's not very good.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only one reason I'll read the Trenton rag online: Edelstein the columnist gets it, and, he maintains a very strong connection to the area via SM.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This describes me. Checked one out last week and it had the final score of a state playoff game wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted