1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who've left: any regrets?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by partition49, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sorry about making assumptions. Just making observations. I agree with you, as I have the same disappointment in what the industry has evolved into overall. My situation could be better, but it could also be much worse. I'll stick around as long as it's worth it. I'd definitely rather do what I'm doing than push a pencil from 9-5 just to have weekends off or a few more bucks in my pocket.

2. Doc Holliday

You always find a way to make me smile. +1 brotha.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Apologies for going off the deep end. The comment just struck a nerve. FWIW, I left for a job that is in the golf industry but features heavy publishing, editing, photography and writing responsibilities. So in reality, I'm still a "sports journalist." Just not in the traditional newspaper sense, whatever that may be any more. I say best of luck to those still in, but I would not recommend newspapers to any recent college grad unless that grad is in line for a fast-track job at one of the larger papers. The Washington Post seems to like to go that route, throwing talented youngsters on big beats with success. (Kurshudyan and Janes are great; I don't read enough of Tefatsion's stuff on the Skins to have an opinion.) But no one is starting at a podunk anymore and advancing to the big boys. That career route no longer exists.

4. Doc Holliday

Oh, I definitely would not recommend newspapers to a recent graduate. I don't think they'll be around at all in another 15 years. And, honestly, it sounds like to me you're still a sports writer or at least a magazine writer. No need for an apology. I understand why you were upset, and that's why I apologized for making assumptions. If anything, it was you who deserved the apology from me.

BrownScribe likes this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You are cool Cosmo. Calm down, many of us respect you.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

All good Fred. I acknowledged my overreaction and Doc and I are cool. Carry on.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I've always viewed every day I get to write for a living, in whatever form, to be a gift. It's the world's most ridiculous job. If you've ever been paid actual money to tell stories, you know what it's like to get away with something. When it's over, I'll work at Home Depot or whatever and talk about my time as a writer the way old bank robbers talk about their biggest heists.

Central-KY-Kid likes this.
  8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

It's Best Buy, not Home Depot!

I've been with BBY for nearly two years now and my new coworkers are shocked by all the places I went and the players or coaches I interviewed. They're also shocked by how much more they made doing what they do (picking product, packing boxes, driving forklifts) than for what I did.

I'm kinda shocked, too, but at least now I'm on the opposite side.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I had spent about 15 years working as a sports writer, mostly covering pro spots. I traveled and did some World Series and a Super Bowl and a lot of cool stuff. I was almost never in the office so I didn't directly have to deal with a lot of the crap that pushes many people out. I also had an online writing gig that was great, still covering major pro stuff.

I was laid off twice and had no choice but to get a "real job." It was still writing, and some about sports, but it was basically a marketing job. I sat in a cubicle all day and had to go to meetings and stuff. The job was incredibly easy and also incredibly boring. The pay also sucked. The only actual benefit it had over my journalism jobs was the 9-5, M-F schedule.

As soon as I was able to get another job at a newspaper, back to being a pro sports beat writer, I was out of there.

Now, I realize this isn't typical. I was probably at the upper end of journalism jobs and then the lower end of "real jobs."

I suspect I will again, at some point, need to get a real job. I hope I find a better one. But I am afraid of being miserable and sitting in some cubicle and just marking the hours till I can go home.

10. DonW

DonW New Member

I got out 12 years ago. Joined the Army went to war and then was lucky enough to become a military lawyer. The ONLY time I miss it is on Saturdays in the fall. Other than that, I'll take getting shot at over chasing 18-year-old kids around begging for a quote any day. I'll also take making a living wage.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I was barely in before I got out. In some ways it was more like ticking things off a bucket list. For a while, I would occasionally miss it; but to be honest, it was a lot more fun enjoying the game and writing about it from the outside. A couple of yeas after I left it as a full-time thing, I wrote about everything from theatre to BBQ to why 'possums are dandy and should get more love.

Then I wrote an article about a local Pagan celebration for a now-defunct general interest site.

I didn't think anything of it. It was fun and I got to show a part of the religious community in my city that many people never knew about.

Then I got an email from someone who was very involved with both the fan community and the business side of one of the teams I'd been credentialed to cover. They told me I needed to scrub any references to Paganism, Witchcraft, Wicca, etc. from my social media or I would never get another credential to cover _______.

Here's the the thing. I know their intentions were good. I know they wanted to help. I also remembered an incident back in the day when a member of the new media loudly proclaimed in front of the pre-game crowd in the press lounge that she'd checked me out via net-stalking and I was ::GASP:: a liberal! She also made threatening noises that she would have my credential pulled if I ever said anything against the Great American and Blessed Christian Values that she held dear or somesuch bullshit. I needed to WATCH IT!

So I took a deep breath, clicked reply, and told this friend who was trying to save me from myself that I valued her friendship and understood her deep and abiding love for _____, but I just did not care if they ever let me back into the press box.

Too long, didn't read: Nope.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Regrets, I've had a few ... But then again, too few to mention ....

Looking back, I don't regret what happened, but it's more of regretting what could have been...

Three of my stops -- Frisco, Texas; McKinney, Texas and Salt Lake City -- were enjoyable places to be a part of it and had developed a social life outside the business. It would have been nice to stay in each place a little bit longer.

And this is the one that will roll your eyes. I regret arena/indoor football wasn't such a cluster---. The games were great, I met a few great people who I still consider friends and even had some players get as far as the CFL. But those bright spots were far and few between.

But here I am now and I'm good now. That's all that matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted