1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who've left: any regrets?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by partition49, Aug 15, 2017.

1. partition49

partition49 New Member

I'm in a strange place, mentally, this week.

I'm leaving the sports writing business after about a decade, all of which I've spent either at small/mid-sized dailies or, more recently, for online-only publications. I've only ever been a sports writer professionally, and I'm about to dive into business copywriting full time. I'm excited, because it's a new challenge and I'll reclaim weekends/nights/decent wages. But I'm also more than a little nervous for obvious reasons.

Just curious, for those who've fled the business amid the madness the last decade or so, how you feel about it now. Right decision? Any regrets? Just looking to be around some likeminded folks amid a fairly massive career shift. I will say this; it's hard to love a business that continues to fire your friends. I don't feel the same about it as I once did.

Liut likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

no regrets. I quit four years ago and now do comms for a large financial institution. All the benefits you outline will far outweigh the negatives. Moreover, you might find yourself actually enjoying sports in a newfound way -- as a form of entertainment you can watch while relaxing. For the last three years, I've also been blogging seasonally about the NFL, so if you still have that itch, there are opps to do it. All change is hard, but this is one change I feel confident in saying will be altogether beneficial. Good luck

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    StaggerLee likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Zero regrets. I'm eight months into my first non-sports job, in university communications, and I've never been happier. I know my family likes having me around more, and CD makes a good point about sports consumption now. Overall, I'm enjoying being unplugged and not having to know everything about the beats I was once covering. Heck, my wife works in sports now and I don't, which is beyond weird yet doesn't bother me in the least.

Deskgrunt50 and StaggerLee like this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whatever the opposite of regret is, I have been filled with that every day for eight years. You can hear me lilting and see me gliding through the air, touching down only to sample the beautiful aroma of seasonal bloom.

Also, I like sports now. I kinda sorta hated sports at the end of my time in the biz.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've been gone 10 months and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Now, I don't have a job (my wife keeps reassuring me that staying home with our 2-year-old and getting our older kids back and forth to school IS a job, but I disagree), but I still don't regret leaving. My home life is so much better now. My relationship with my wife is not nearly as strained. I get to see my kids every single day, not just when they're sleeping. I've spent the last 10 months coaching my middle child's football team and my oldest son's basketball and baseball teams.

As far as missing the business, I don't miss it as much as I miss the people. I don't really miss working late on Fridays and Saturdays. I don't even miss being at the games. Now when I go to a sporting event, I get to be a fan and enjoy it. I don't spend my time watching the clock, hoping the game ends in time to get my story done. On the national level, I have pretty much unplugged from ESPN completely so I don't really know what's going on in NFL training camps or who's leading the NL East and I'm completely fine with that. I occupy my time with other things that I missed out on for 20-plus years.

Quitting my job was the scariest thing I've ever done. For the two hours that I really contemplated leaving, I felt sick to my stomach. But as soon as I got home that night, I knew I made the right decision.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Getting out of that business might be the best thing that's ever happened to me, professionally and personally.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Missing the newsroom camaraderie is normal, though for me the most fun I had in newspapers was at my first shop, a 20,000-circ daily that had five guys in sports plus a stringer. We were young, loved the work and hung out before and after putting out the paper. Now, of course, that paper probably has one, maybe two people in sports.

I was happy in a professional sense to eventually get to a major metro, but the people were largely miserable -- and this was when the business was healthy and worry-free. Everyone was obsessed about the next step on the ladder (me too) and it wasn't as fun as it should have been. That's a regret, but that's just how it was.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. Miss some of the people some of the time. Don't miss the suits, the inexperienced editors, the uppity/in-it-for-themselves publishers, the human resource folks with an IQ about the industry that is the minus (-44). DO miss the people you write about, the readers... and DON'T miss the many clowns you have to deal with in ad departments, etc. I've found you miss the people who, regardless of their job title, are good people you'd want to associate with no matter what position they have/had and what industry. God's people, I call'em. Just everyday, hardworking, good natured, honest people. Odd that with honesty one of the main factors desired in journalism, there are fewer and fewer honest people in decision-making positions -- which means the industry has gone in the direction of most others in the good old U.S.

Liut and Bronco77 like this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Big life changes are always scary, but it's amazing how often, once you've made the decision and gone through whatever grieving process you need to go through, the reduction in psychic load makes it so clear how right you were to make the correction.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I too miss the newsroom environment, from my time at a big paper to my college paper.

It really is a great place when the chemistry is right, and I had the great luck of having some quality, thoughtful, and engaging people around me. Had some of my best conversations talking out controversial stories and working together with those people.

I'm still in sports, but not for a paper. I'm either in a press box or at home, and I'll probably never be in a newsroom again, but that is the only aspect I miss at all. Pretty much everything else was shit.

11. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Only regret is that I couldn't get out sooner. I have a job now, still in sports, that I love, in a great working environment, making more money, with better hours and for people who actually appreciate the job I do, and they make sure I know they appreciate it. And that goes all the way to the very top.

12. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

No regrets at all. I've been out more than four years now. Yes, I miss the camaraderie of a newsroom, the craft of journalism, and really knowing what I was doing... but not having work nights, weekends, holidays... and making more than twice what I made in journalism is pretty awesome. I also don't miss having to take phone calls during dates, or change plans because 5 p.m. became more like 7 p.m.

Draft saved Draft deleted