1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you who travel regularly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baloo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Ah. That hasn't been my experience ever, but I guess it all depends on the airport.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No shit, man. I hadn't flown since the restrictions went into effect because all of my football trips happened to be drive trips this year. But I flew to cover a national championship in Indiana a few weeks back, borrowed a bag that I knew I could carry on, and completely forgot about the whole toiletries bullshit. I checked the bag rather than part with 40 bucks worth of shit ...

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was going to say, I generally arrive around 50-70 minutes before my flight, check my bag, and head through security. Never have to wait at the gate more than 15 minutes to board.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Fly to or from anything larger than Flyover, USA and you are waiting in line. I try not to check for same reasons mentioned

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I walked into JFK yesterday, one hour before my flight, checked two bags, sailed through security and sat at my gate while my flight was delayed.

Likewise, I've gotten to airports in the middle of BFE more than an hour beforehand and nearly missed my flight.

Try not to make too many assumptions there, EE94.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

One time, granted this was in Albuquerque, I got to the ticket counter, was told it was too late to make my flight but the lady put me through anyway. I checked my bag, made it through security despite some dumbass having a pocketknife in his carry on and I was the last one on the plane. The other passengers were pissed, but I made it.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good security story. Flew out of Bozeman, Mont., once with a group of people, maybe 18-20 of us. Two of the people in the group were black. Both were "randomly" selected for full-scale patdowns.

Perhaps you should be more subtle about your racism, Mr. Bozeman TSA jackass.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I hate flying now. I had 3 oz. bottles in my carry-on (I didn't check bags) but didn't realize I had to take them out separately. So I get to security and I have to pull them out. So now my jacket is off, my shoes are off, my laptop is out, my pockets are emptied and the tiny bottles of liquid are out. I only have two hands.

What's really sad is when you look around at all the other travelers. No one's bitching or complaining anymore. Everyone's just a zombie now. They're resigned to doing what they have to do, so they don't make waves and end up having to undo one more buckle or get the wand treatment. Theyr'e at the airport two hours early, they wait in line, they take off their coats and shoes and unpack the bag they spent time the night before packing neatly.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Target has an entire aisle devoted to travel-size toiletries. I found a 2.5-oz bottle of ReNu there for a buck. Same for hair gel and deodorant. I recommend you check it out.

I've been checking my luggage, though .. Nothing better than walking through a terminal with only a laptop bag and not having to worry about overheard space once you're on board. I've been winning, too, at the luggage carousel game. Mine's always one of the first 10 bags out.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

If you visit the contact lens solution aisle, I know you can find a brand that's in a 3-oz or smaller bottle. I had no problems. Or you can just get a small bottle in the travel size aisle and transfer some solution into it.

I fly pretty often and have the no rules and regs down pat. It really amazes me how many people don't. It's not that hard.

11. shecky

shecky Member

Glasses.

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I was going to mention the exact same thing.

Checking a bag for a one or two day trip is not an option as far as I'm concerned. Usually I print my boarding pass online, arrive at the airport 45 minutes before my flight and it's all good. Plus, at the other end of the flight I don't have to spend 20+ minutes waiting for my bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted