1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you who exercise ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Oct 9, 2006.

1. busdriver

busdriver Member

You are oh so right in the summer on the bus I drink a lot of gatorade and it seems to give me that boost I need to keep going in the heat. So many driver get sick from the heat and I think it is because they drink cokes and such. not a good idea. the buses get so hot. that it is anywhere form 15 to30deg. hotter in the bus.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am the most backward-ass human on earth. I run 4 or 5 miles at least 5 days a week, row once or twice a week, do a variety of ab exercises every day, and I recently started adding in some upper body strength training two days a week (not sure how long this is going to last, though). I do my running (or rowing) and ab work every morning, with nothing but two cups of coffee in me. I can't--and rarely eat--before 3 in the afternnoon, and I will frequently go the whole day until 7 or 8 at night without eating, at which time I just eat one big meal (vegetarian, and ridiculously low calories for a grown man—there is a fat man lurking in me if I eat what most men do). I do stay hydrated when I exercise (I sweat like a pig), and I have never once felt weak or passed out from exercise (except for when I used to bike and pushed it too hard on occasion and bonked, and a few concussions that knocked me out from hitting the floor hard whie playing basketball, but they don't count.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doc.

And Ragu, that's not smart, my man.

You gotta eat, buddy. If you'd have seen my friend being carried off the gym floor yesterday, her legs and body limp, it might change your mind.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

When it comes to fluid, let urine be your guide. Peeing clear is a good thing; the darker the output, the drier the body.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I'm not the best about eating. I'm generally OK working out without a lot of fuel in my body, per se, but I'll have a really bad experience about once per month. I just get to a place about 15 minutes in when my body basically quits on me. Bizarre.

Note to self: Eat.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I often won't eat until 7 or 8 myself, and at least once every couple weeks, I'll go an entire day without eating. I know it's not healthy, but I just get busy at work and before you know it, the day is done. Problem with that is, I'll then come home in the middle of the night and severely overeat. If I didn't exercise 4-5 times a week I'd be in seriously bad health, but with what TBF had to say, I might want to adjust my eating/training schedule a bit to avoid a bigger problem than being 20 pounds overweight.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The after work 2am munchie cravings are the toughest for me. Still wide awake and ready fro teh world. Note to self...avoid caffeine after 10pm.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It takes a long time to get back to clear after my vitamins. Is there another barometer you can use?

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

my rule is pretty much to try and do 40 oz per hour of working out/riding the bike. Start out with 8-12 ounces, then down 24 oz during the ride and follow it with as much water as I want after it's over. I like a banana or a Clif Bar after I'm done, too.

Thankfully, I won't be doing military workouts until the draft is brought back and the army decides it needs 40ish men with an aversion to physical confrontation.

and my GNC MegaMan vitamin gives me neon yellow urine for a few hours, so take that into consideration as well.

10. The Big Ragu

I thought you don't drink, Ides. Even if you do, is it really smart to drink a 40-ouncer, hop on a road bike, and drink more while you're riding, while you're weaving in and out of traffic?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's my vitamin of choice, too. I workout following a bottle of water or Gatorade first thing in the morning and eat breakfast afterward. I can't consume food at 5:30 a.m. but I usually load up on hops and barley the night before so I'm OK!

12. The Big Ragu

Why not cut out the morning workout, and let the nightly barley and hops curls be your exercise routine?

Draft saved Draft deleted