1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you who exercise ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Oct 9, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

... please, please, please eat and drink properly before you exercise.

One of my soldiers was rushed to the hospital this morning after she succumb to dehydration and exhaustion.

After we finished our workout -- which included about 15 minutes of sprints -- she bent over and put her hands on her knees. I thought she was out of breath, but minutes later she was on the ground. Two young men carried her to a chair, in which she couldn't sit. We laid her down, called 911, loosened her clothes and put some ice behind her neck. She was in and out of consciousness, but mostly out.

A trip to the hospital and a couple of IV bags later, she was OK.

She was obviously dehydrated (weak from a stomach virus late last week, too), but guess what she ate for supper Sunday night. A can of fucking pineapples. Pineapples ... and she expected to make it through one of my PT sessions. Wrong answer.

The point, people, is eat well-balanced meals to replace those nutrients and hydrate.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

coffee and a banana, that's all you need!

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I just don't exercise and cut that risk right out.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And remember green banannas are 28 percent for you than yellow banannas.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Everyone seems to be joking about this but people have and will continue to die from dehydration. When I was at basic training we had one girl who passed out three separate times for dehydration and had article 15's to show for it. She was lucky people were paying attention to her, otherwise she could have died.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I had severe heat exhaustion when I was a foolish teen (any other kind?) playing hours of tennis in the summer sun. When I played low-level college football, it was still in the don't-drink-during-practice era. I'm a workout fiend now but don't begin to exercise without my water bottle and towel.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

TBF, how hot was it?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Oddly enough, I'm eating a can of pineapple right now.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Or remain a civilian.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We were in the gym, where it was not hot, but there was no breeze, either. We're accustomed to working out there.

11. busdriver

busdriver Member

I know I did not know that I was dehydrated and passed out from it. I think some people don't know the signs. And it is so dangerous, I now know what to look for and am glade for it. However I didn't want the passing out to learn them.

I also used to exercise with out any water but as hard as I go after it I know now that I can handle stopping to take a drink now and then.
    take care of your troops, so they can take care of us.
    And as I have said before thanks again TBF for all you so for us.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

So we all agree that water is good. Remember though, that too much water can be a bad thing. In some athletes who over hydrate with water alone, they run the risk of hyponatremia (low sodium, because plain water dilutes the chemicals in the blood stream). If you have workout regimens that last longer than 60-90 minutes, consider using a balanced solution replacement, like gatorade or powerade

Draft saved Draft deleted