1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you that blog as part of the job...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Thanks for all your help...and more suggestions are always welcome via PM and e-mail.

I'll pass on the relevant stuff that was said. I'm not so worried about the World Cup stuff, because at worst, it'll be a month-long thing (though I do agree). I will mention that and the "read less" deal.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I would second what Leo said.
    I'm in the same boat.
    People don't read our blogs to find out where Vickers and Mears are going to. But they might if you offer your opinion on the duo bolting from the very guys who placed so much faith in his abilities for what may or may not be greener pastures. Even if don't know their exact motives, you can talk about what would cause a person to do something like this.
    The best blogs involve observations, not nec. news.

Note -- It can also be used, when you do cover something, to include notes, quotes and such that wouldn't otherwise make your paper.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Just wanted to update this: I finally got my first non-spam comments (two!) the other day.

Of course, it had nothing to do with Nextel Cup. Instead, a track that's been around here forever (Old Dominion Speedway, where Cup's precursor used to run and still a NASCAR-sanctioned track) will be sold and, within a few years, closed. Pressure from developers and neighbors was the final straw.

So it gave me two days' worth of blogs (first one: if neighbors didn't want noise, they shouldn't have moved near a racetrack; second: ODS notable as a NASCAR track, but biggest effect will be on the weekend warriors) and that's where we are.

I still enjoy doing it, because it's one thing I have complete ownership over.

4. greenie

greenie Member

I second the post about including lots of links with your commentary on said links. A good blog is a guide to the Internet on whatever topic it's covering. You want racin' fans to go to your blog for your stuff and because they know they'll find other interesting stuff there.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted