1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you of a certain age ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Last vinyl — Def Leppard, Pyromania
    Last cassette — REM, Automatic for the People (I had CDs by the time this one came out, but nothing portable)

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'll still buy used vinyl if the album is not available on CD. The last one I bought was Warren Zevon's The Envoy, which supposedly will come out on CD soon. The turntable and the albums are in the guest room, along with a gazillion cassettes. I don't listen to them often, but I'll never throw them out.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First CD(s): Dark Side of the Moon, Brothers in Arms, Twin Sons of Different Mothers (Fogelberg/Weisberg)

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Envoy isn't on CD? Weird. I have that on vinyl myself.

The Buckingham/Nicks album that was used as a studio demo and caught Mick Fleetwood's attention -- and led him to invite them into his little band -- has never been put out on CD. A damned shame, too.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No shame in that one, Bubbler, if it's the predominantly white cover with Chicago's logo partially painted in. That's outstanding Chicago. If it's 80s era, that's some outstanding sh_t and your last statement above stands. :D

(Yes, I have first two volumes, when they still wrote their own tracks and sounded like Chicago).

6. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

last month i bought some original pressings of hank, patsy cline and tony bennett.

oh, and london calling, too.

cassette tape ..... hmmmm ....i dunno ... maybe kool moe dee "knowlede is king" or boogie down productions "ghetto music" ... both came out in '89

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Let's see ...
    I'm guessing last vinyl was probably either Kenny G or David Sanborn in 1987 or 88.

Almost never bought cassettes. Instead, I'd buy the vinyl and blank cassettes and copy them for use in my car.

First CD purchased in the summer of 1988 was Something Constructive by John Jarvis. An instrumental new age kind of thing and it sounded amazing on my then-roommate's really good stereo. And it still sounds great on my stereo or in my car. Jarvis is still one of the top studio keyboard and piano guys in Nashville last I knew.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Every once in a while, you can find Buckingham/Nicks as a bootleg CD (with a laser-printed cover) on eBay.

I got it for my dad for his birthday for about $20 (must've been around 2001 or so.) He had lamented about that one not being on CD for years and years, and then I found the-best-version-you-can-get-on-CD-anyway on eBay. Got him hooked on eBay after that find.

My first CD -- coincidentally enough -- also happened to be Aerosmith's "Get A Grip" in the glorious summer of 1993. (Hi SC! :D)

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Last vinyl: never.

Last cassette: The Chronic

First CD: Nevermind

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Vinyl: Can't Slow Down by Lionel Richie

Cassette: Tough to say. Probably something to replace a tape that got eaten.

11. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Last Vinyl: I think it was 38 Special -- can't remember which one.

Last Cassette: The Cars.

First CD: Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, to replace the cassette which I wore out, to replace the vinyl that I wore out :)

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I actually just bought "First Impressions of Earth" by the Strokes on vinyl a few weeks ago, even though I don't have a record player. It still looks pretty sweet.

As for cassettes, my last truck only had a tape player so I bought Green Day's Dookie, 311 Live and Meatloaf: Greatest Hits on sale at a mall somewhere so I'd at least have something in the car. Nothing like a little "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" to make time fly by.

The first CD I went out and made an effort to purchase was (What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis, but I remember buying "Abbey Road" by some group called the Beatles with a gift certificate I got as a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted