1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you about to come to China...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I’m rather curious where you were because some of this stuff seems so over the top that I don’t understand where it comes from...

Single family homes are in the countryside. It takes about 30-minutes drive outside of Shanghai, or Beijing, to see them. These houses usually have at least a small crop land for whatever.

However, the cities are definitely going to be apartments. You can’t buy single family homes in Manhattan either.

That is a bit of an exaggeration. I’ve driven over there (obviously not legally) and didn’t have too much of an issue. If you can drive in Manhattan, then you can likely drive over there. You just need to recognize that the drivers are very aggressive.

Okay, while I may not be a journalist, I never ran into any issue what-so-ever about freedom of speech. People really don’t give that much of a shit. I have stood in Tianmien Square to watch the flag raising (it is about 6 am, I think and quite the sight) and said things.

I’ve cursed out the television showing of Mao that comes on every single year during the Chinese New Year.

I’ve pulled up the New York Times, CNN and not had any problem connecting to any stories regardless of what they were about.

I can’t comment on the K12 domain that you were referencing. I didn’t attempt to look up anything on there.

Maybe it is Beijing where you were stopped all the time. My sisters, both dirty blonde, were pretty much left alone in Shanghai. They had not traveled to Beijing during that trip.

The smoking is definitely an issue. They smoke everywhere; elevators, hallways, stores, etc.

I put this in the book of “dumb tourist.”

Sorry, but if you went into Manhattan in the 90’s and didn’t know much about the city, the cabbies there would take you for a ride. The same shit happens in Shanghai and Beijing.

If you call them out on it, the ride becomes free, though. They tried it on me once and the guy got an ear full.

If some girl is asking you to hang out, well, you are likely going to be taken to the cleaners. They are more conservative than us. The women do not walk up to men. If they do, you will be scammed.

I always brushed my teeth and washed my mouth out with tap water. I never had a problem in Beijing or Shanghai. I’m guessing your friend swallowed some while brushing.

I won’t drink the water. That isn’t healthy. Though, you can’t drink the water in Mexico either.

KFC was the first to break in. Up next was Pizza Hut. Now they have Papa John’s. Some of the pizzas they sell are pretty interesting.

I always suggest going to the Wanton joints that are open damn near 24/7. Those places are phenomenal.

Karaoke is big there. KTV is popular. Some places, depending on who you know, have nightclub setups. A friend there is a fairly successful business man. He rents out nightclubs, brings in girls and just has a general good time.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have never had more fun on a trip than I have had in visiting Shanghai.

My first trip over was a real eye opener. Every trip after that has progressively gotten better. The things I have done and seen will never be matched.

Sure there are some minor downsides, but it is like anything else. Nothing is perfect.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've always preferred the wanton places myself, as well. You meet the most interesting women there. 8)

Oh, wait ... not what you meant? :D

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

You'll find that same scene in virtually any Chinese city if you look very far.

5. Hong Kong is just like that but considerably nicer than the mainland. Considerably.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Just got back from three weeks in China - - Beijing, Xian, Guilin, Chongqing, Wuhan and Hong Kong.

Do NOT drink the water and do not eat veggies that are uncooked because they have probably been washed in the tap water. For fruits, eat only those that you peel - - apples, oranges etc. You can buy bottled water just about anywhere.

Carry toilet paper with you. It is available in most of the places but not all of the places.

Do not rent a car in one of the big cities in China. If you don't know where you are going, you will get into an accident trying to drive and navigate your way through strange territory with so many other drivers. Remember, it wasn't ten years ago when cars were VERY rare in China. So the majority of the drivers on the roads have less than five years experience. Imagine driving in Manhattan where all the other drivers are teenagers. That's Beijing...

Eat the local Chinese food in the local restaurants. The food is excellent. And as long as it's cooked, it is perfectly safe.

Keep your eyes open for Starbucks in big cities. They are there and you won't find better coffee at "Mom and Pop Shops" in China.

You must bargain for everything outside the large department stores and the restaurants. Our experience is that paying 25-33% of the original asking price is about what you should expect. If you pay more, you are being ripped off.

Tipping is not like in the US. In small towns, there is no tip expected; in large cities tipping 15% will make you a big spender. More comon tip in big cities is 10%.

In Beijing, learn to use the subway. It's not hard and it goes lots of places and it is CHEAP.

The streets are safe - - except for the drivers who are nuts.

Enjoy your time there. I did. And I plan to go back and to visit Tibet when it is opened up again.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Fled China early, my version of the fucking Saigon airlift... In Toronto now, trying to get home to Ottawa. Phones bugged, Internet access shut down from outside -- started with this very thread being blocked (that I can deal with, I wasn't exactly careful), and then the whole system followed. But I'm pretty sure my bags were gone through in my hotel when I was out the other night, and that was it for me.

I had an adventure. It was the experience of a lifetime. I stayed out all night and made some lifelong friends.

I am very, very glad to be out of there. That got hairy, I would say.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wowsers.

Are you the first SportsJournalists.com poster to have your hotel room gone through for posting? People have been fired, obviously, but the government getting involved is crazy.

Were you supposed to stay longer or did you leave because of the hassles?

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

My wife, who is a FT copy editor, had to do the same. All journos (and clergy) have to sign such waiver that says they will not practice their professions to get into the country.

I, who no longer work in the profession full-time, did not.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh yeah, the Olympics should be a fuckin' riot.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Holy shit, Jones. Glad you're back on native soil.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Good thing you got back ... I leave for France tomorrow. You're in charge of Ontario while I'm away.

Seriously ... good to know you're home (almost) in one piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted