1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you about to come to China...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 29, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You can get voltage converters at Brookstone. The Apple store also sells em.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$5.29. You have penny?

3. Mizzougrad96

I get the sense this Olympics is getting less US media coverage than probably any summer Olympics that the US participated in.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm just excited that you can access SJ there. I wasn't sure how I'd deal with the withdrawal for a month.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hell, if you work for Tribune and leave to cover the Olympics, you might not have a job when you get back.
    When I was New Orleans, post-Katrina, for an assignment. I ran into a photog from Newsday — I think — who was pretty sure she was laid off, but they weren't going to break the news while she was on assignment.
    They were trying to get her back to New York and she kept refusing because of all the news there. That was before Rita hit, so I don't when she went back.
    Back to China, have an editor friend who went there for vacation a few months back.
    He had to sign paperwork saying he would not practice journalism while he was in country nor would he report on anything beyond normal observations when he returned to America. If he did, he would be denied a second visa.
    I wonder if history will view China 2008, the same way as Berlin 1936?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There are multiple parallels . . . better in some ways, worse in others -- as you might expect.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is good crawfish in Shanghai this time of year. It is a little spicy but very good. Tsingtao kicks ass. That is definitely true.

While in Shanghai, you need to buy the local Shanghai beer. It is called Reeb. Yes, the name is beer spelled backwards.

Had I known you were heading to Shanghai, I would have provided you with some fun contacts. I have quite a few friends over there.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, we know one thing for sure : they would have been better than Atlanta.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The traffic would be just as bad as Beijing I know that much.

10. Mizzougrad96

The only thing about the Atlanta games that didn't suck was that I got to cover an event in Athens, which I'm sure was only because nobody else at my paper wanted to make the drive.

Toronto would be a great place to host the Olympics.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Again with the SEC schools?

12. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

When in Beijing, look up Dirk Beveridge, Dow Jones bureau chief (or was the last I checked). Tell him "little Angela's battered body" still remains the worst lede written.

That ought to brighten his day.

Draft saved Draft deleted