1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those of you about to come to China...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great... a post-padding newb. Just what we fucking need.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, you have to earn the first 17,380 posts

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man, I teed that one up.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Converts whatever voltage Chinese AC power is (presumably 220) down to 110/120 volts for American appliances.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So the converter built into your power cord won't do that?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depends on what you have. Some just need a set of international plugs for the AC-DC inverter. Some laptop manufacturers ship country-specific wall cords. «looking squarely at Steve Jobs»

And if you're taking along an appliance that can't handle different input voltages (electric razor, for instance), you have to bring a step-down converter.

8. These are going to be quite the Olympics, aren't they?

How much better the Games would have been if the IOC had chosen Toronto instead.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Internet connection severed after writing apparently objectionable email about life in China. Doesn't help that my hotel is owned by the Chinese equivalent of the CIA.

I'm not there now.

No. 7 did not happen to me, luckily, but to a friend. They gave him a bill for Y3,000 (about $400) for a lunch of eel and a few glasses of wine, ordered by the girl who took him there. Then they locked him in a back room with a big angry man until he paid. Major-league scam, and it scared the living shit out of him.

I did, however, feel like I was doing spectacularly well at a disco bar the other night before I realized I was surrounded by hookers. Here I thought whitey was the main attraction because of my presumably larger-than-Asian schlong. Sometimes my ego prevents me from seeing the truth about my station in life.

No Dairy Queen, but lots of KFC. Actually, the food has been pretty good. But I'm in Shanghai, which is apparently much more cosmopolitan than Beijing. I just had a delicious Japanese lunch, breaded pork and udon.

I forget to mention that the time change (12 hours) is exactly perfect to mess up your body clock in magical ways. I feel like Puff without needing any dragon.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm here, and I'm having a very good time, but I'm not filing on deadline.

Seriously guys, good lucking fuck.

10. I've heard good things about Shanghai -- kind of like Hong Kong -- but bad things about Beijing. But if you can't write what you want, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Again: I don't know what the IOC was thinking when they made their '08 decision.

Watch your back, Jones.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Thanks Lyman. I think the journalist visa automatically wins you extra attention.

Shanghai is really damn cool, though. Very alive and electric. It makes New York feel like some quaint English village. So long as I don't end up in Chinese jail, this will go down as a very memorable trip.

I guess it will even if I do end up in jail. Still, I'd like to avoid that.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It beats hearing about those of you about to come to Chyna ...
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted