1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the win and a chance to play for that Dodge Aries, what is the WBI?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Didn't make the NCAA? Or the WNIT? Well bless your hearts, there's postseason hope for you yet!

Introducing the Women's Basketball Invitational, an opportunity for those of you not deemed to be one of the top 128 teams in women's hoops to play in March. Featuring such powerhouse programs as ... Fairfield, Morehead State and Mo-Kansas City.

In fairness, it also has defending NCAA runner-up Louisville. How hard a fall is that, from national finalist to No. 3 East seed in a tournament nobody has ever heard of ... including the people playing in it?

Here's the Seattle Times story on it. Spot the factual error in the headline!

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is this brought to you by the same people behind the CBI?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I thought it was a new boxing alphabet group.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Washington is 12-17 and hosting a first-round game? Ohhhhhhhh kay.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

To be honest -- why is this needed?

The WNIT has 64 teams in it (the mens NIT only has 32) - so there are already 128 teams going to either the WNCAA or the WNIT.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

In the interests of full disclosure, here is that Dodge Aries you're playing for:
    [​IMG]

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why is Bubbler standing next to it?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Clearly, there is a burning need to find out who the 129th-best team is. It's part of our national "nobody goes home without a trophy" mentality.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It looked as if the woman they interviewed in that article basically said "We just think more teams deserve to play."

Really? Two teams that were 3 to 5 games under .500 deserved to be in post-season play? What is this, Kansas high-school basketball?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie. I didn't know this tournament existed and I checked the bracket half expecting the school I cover to be in it.

Whew.

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Unfortunately we're all about this lower-tier tournament here in Podunk. But don't dare call it a lower-tier tournament.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You could call it the lowest-tier tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted