1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the Wilco fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some impressions after giving the record multiple spins (or iTunes plays ...)

It's definitely a lot more adult contemporary than anything they've put out. Doesn't mean it's bad. Just means it's different. A couple of the songs are boring, but I'm really getting into Bull Black Nova, One Wing and I'll Fight. You Never Know is catchy and hooky. The album is just lacking something, something anthemic. Even SBS had that with You Are My Face. Just need to accept that Wilco aren't making another YHT or AGIB and accept the music for what it is.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You've confirmed what I suspected. I've heard one or two songs and came away unimpressed. The other reviews have confirmed this, too. (Several have been very critical.)

This will be the first Wilco album I won't buy.

I hate to sound like a complete and total jerk, but here it is: I wonder if getting cleaned up is a detriment to good song writing, or, I should say, the kind of songwriting I enjoy?

It's a cliche, but some artists write their best stuff when they're messed up.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The last two records have been very Nels Cline heavy. He's talented, for sure. But it gives the music a much different sound than earlier albums.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I gotta say I'm digging the album a great deal through a couple of listens. It's like a more streamlined Summerteeth (an album where I liked the songwriting a lot but thought it was too messy). One Wing is probably my favorite song so far.

5. this record is just boring as hell

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I've had it for a while, and like it a lot, and I just bought it. It's more mature, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You Never Know and Bull Black Nova are the two I like the most. Plus, the duet with Feist is good.

They're not going to make YHF or Summerteeth ever time out. Pitchfork and Paste had the best reviews I've seen so far. Been a Wilco fans since Being There, and this album falls right in the middle for me.

7. well, i've been a fan since AM and an uncle tupelo fan before that & i think this record is brutal

what happened to tweedy?

what happened to the guy who was cutting edge, always exploring, always expanding the boundaries of pop music?

this is just dull, radio-friendly, watered-down, middle-of-the-road wilco product

a fall of nearly REM proportions for a once-brilliant band

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I saw Wilco three nights at the Wiltern last week. Fucking KILLED. The new album is a weak double if you're scoring it at home. I also fret that these guys might be getting a little softy commercial.

My list:
    ALBUMS
    1. A Ghost is Born
    2 (tie). Yankee Hotel Foxtrot/Kicking Television Live
    4. Summerteeth
    5. Being There
    6. AM
    7. Sky Blue Sky

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the weak double assessment. I can't agree with total flop. There are some good tunes and about three true stinkers. One Wing has the potential to be an awesome live jam. Can't wait to see them in a week.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've learned to always reserve judgement on new Wilco material until I hear them perform it live. Invariably, I find invaluable pieces in my "understanding" of their work in that setting.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Del knows of which he speaks.

12. they're great live

doesn't make the records any better

Draft saved Draft deleted