1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the dog people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fmrsped, Aug 7, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I've never been a big obedience school guy; my parents never needed to do it for our dogs growing up. My dad simply read books, did it his way and it worked perfectly.

We had purebred Jack Russells from when they were puppies, so he did it from the start, and it all seemed very easy.

Well, I've had a beagle/hound mix for about 15 months now; she was estimated at a year when I got her, but I've learned since then that she was no more than six months. Sweet as can be, an angel about 90% of the time. I've certainly made some mistakes all the way (not crate training from the beginning, etc.), but she's well-behaved for the most part, knows sit, speak, shake, lay.

Now for the tricky part: she's scared shitless of noises, and has been from the moment I got her. I thought, once she got used to me and her surroundings, it would improve. It hasn't. And it's not just atom-bomb like noises, it's pop cans in the street, it's a plastic grocery bag floating around, it's motorcycles.

Which isn't even a problem, but her reaction to these noises: running around like a crazy woman, is.

What I want is to be able to, like with all "normal" dogs, have her off the leash, and at my command be at my feet; for the most part, she's good with that. But I'm terribly afraid most of the time to leave her off the leash, due to fear of her hearing a noise and running into a street/away.

What I'm asking in a roundabout way is if these classes that everyone advertises would help that situation? I understand they help when the dog is generally misbehaved, but mine isn't; she's generally behaved, just scared shitless at random times (presumably from whomever dropped her off at the rescue where I found her).

Should I look into classes, or will they, like I think, be unable to cure the fear of the random noise? Should I keep working with her myself? Does anyone have experience with the classes being unable to cure what ails your pup?

Thanks in advance.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Have you tried beating the dog?

I've had reasonably experiences with dogs, and I've never taken one to obedience classes. I've had three, but I was too young to be involved with the training of the first one.
    The first two were scared of thunder and fireworks. The third had no trouble with noises, loud or otherwise.
    Have you tried researching the problem specifically?
    I'm sure you can get some help with the problem, but it might not be from a standard obedience class.

3. The dog my husband and I now have is our first dog. We went to an what I'd presume is a fairly standard obedience class. Based on that class, I don't think a standard obedience class will help in your situation.

Likely, the noise issue has something to do with a tramautic experience from your pup's past. I say likely because there's a small chance it might be a physical health issue. So you might want to check that out with a visit to the vet.

Also, the vet might be able to recommend a training method or a class or trainer that could help you.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I think it's likely from trauma, too, but as FTC alluded to, maybe the dog has a hearing problem. Dogs have sensitive ears to begin with, but maybe there's something that's making hers super sensitive.

I have two dogs who three years into living together decided they hated each other. They've been separated for five years now. They can never be in the same room together (as long as I'm there) and I have to walk and feed them separately. Also, their disdain for each other makes them unnecessarily aggressive toward other dogs, which means I have to keep them on a leash at all times outside. I, too, wish I could have them stay by my side and act "normal," but I just deal with the situation.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Try this...

http://thetravisty.com/Saturday_Night_Live/wmv/Dissing_Your_Dog.htm

I guarantee it will work.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But be careful of the whispering 'You're a fucking dog" in her ear. If she is sensitive to sounds, that could damage more. :)

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thank you, Dale Sturtevant.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's OK, Doc. Don't you get up. You spend all day working an exhausting job, on your feet for hours...oh wait...that's ME.

:D

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

be glad it can hear... many purebred Jacks are deaf

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, there's a solution.

11. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

how do you respond to her when she hears the loud noises and becomes crazy and fearful?

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Hey dipshit -- read the whole post. He doesn't have a jack.
    No wonder Birmingham Southern went DIII. ;D

In all honesty, I have no idea what that means.

Draft saved Draft deleted