1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the 100th anniversary of Les Glorieux, TSN picks the Habs' all-time team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 23, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Agreed. Ken Dryden's not on this list - mentioned, but not on it - nor is Chris Chelios. My eyebrows raised a little at Saku Koivu, and I would have put Mats Naslund somewhere on there, also.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm a huge fan of his--I'd love to buy his future--but there is no way that Mike Komisarek should be on the all-time team.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd take Plante over Dryden any day.

Tough call between Plante & Roy though.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'd say just go with the guys who are in the Hockey Hall of Fame's Montreal Canadiens locker room. The only decision would be which goalie is left out. I'd take Plante.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Hey, I understad making tough decisions between superstars, but leaving superstars off entirely for Komisarek(he shouldn't even be an all-star this year for crying out loud), Rousseau, Ferguson (on the second line?? maybe the fourth), Pronovost, Jimmy Roberts, Skrudland, Ted Harris, Craig Ludwig, and Michel Laroque (hell why not Penny or "Red light" Racicot as back up if you're going to throw Laroque in the back up position).
    This ultimate Canadiens team is a fraud in the biggest form.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I like Fergie on the first two lines - his job was riding shotgun for the big wheels, remember? Same reason the Leafs always used Tiger Williams and then Dan Maloney on the Darryl Sittler-Lanny McDonald line.

I wouldn't argue with Claude Provost or with Bobby Rousseau at right wing, but I'd say choose one or the other and dump Jim Roberts so you can have your pick of Boom Boom Geoffrion, Yvan Cournoyer and Guy Lafleur for the other two spots on the right side. And you absolutely have to find room for Howie Morenz and Henri Richard at centre ahead of Koivu and Skrudland. Like, wtf??

The defence is also a travesty. You need to dump Komisarek, Ludwig and Harris to make room for Guy Lapointe, Tom Johnson and Butch Bouchard. Jacques Laperriere would make a hell of a seventh defenceman.

No real argument with Jacques Plante as the starter in net, but Bill Durnan would have been just as worthy a choice. And if you want a career backup as your backup on this team, no argument with Larocque either. But why would you not want a second Hall of Famer when there are five - Vezina, Hainsworth, Worsley, Dryden and Roy - who are readily available?

Fail.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

JJ, of the goaltenders you mentioned, who would you select to be Plante's backup?

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

This had to be a joke of some kind by TSN...or worse yet intentionally bad to get Habs fans steaming to the Web site to scream bile and anger over no Lafluer, Morenz and about a dozen other guys. Seriously Ludwig and Larouche? Or maybe even worse, TSN is heading the ESPN route and everything post 1979 is unknown. Or worse yet, it was done by an intern

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

HB, I'd pick Durnan and Plante to be 1a and 1b. The rest of 'em can toil in the AHL, or maybe I'll pull a Sam Pollock and deal them away for first-round draft choices. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted