1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Political Partisans: Say Something Nice About The Other Side

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I like Guiliani's record on social issues. His ability to be a Republican and not curtail to those that oppose civil rights and are in favor of religious suppression is a positive.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thin John McCain is as honest as they come for politicians at his level. At least when he lies, he's uncomfortable and not very good at it. I like that.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... sounds familiar ....

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I understand Hillary Clinton is too. (psst, I'm a Dem so does that count for saying something nice about the other side?)

5. John McCain's actions during the war -- when he was given the opportunity to leave the POW camp because of his father but elected to stay behind because the rest of his platoon couldn't leave -- show he is a man of great character.
    He has the type of character I'd like to see in the White House. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the views I'd like to see there.
    Plus he's completely wrong on the war, but it's not for stupid reasons like the current president.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If you look at Romney's record, it's actually quite impressive. Gov. of Massachusettes, where he implemented a decent health care plan, his accomplishments as a businessman, what he did for the Olympics, and he's a genuinely (from what I can tell) good family man.

I'd have no problem with Romney if it wasn't for his recent right-wing conversions.

I'm guessing Romney looked at Giuliani and thought, "I have to be further to the right than him to appeal to the true Republicans."

Wrong. Same with McCain. He gambled that he did kiss up enough to the base. He's got a great record and he'd be an excellent choice, but he made the Romney mistake, making a hard right turn when it wasn't necessary.

Shouldn't Romeny and McCain have been smart enough to know that running against Hillary, it wouldn't have mattered if they didn't have their Republican bona fides? Oh well.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Health-care plan that's now expecting a shortfall of $140 million. Not chump change.
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/11/massachusetts-h.html

And it's not really that affordable. $75 per week? There are cheaper private plans out there.

8. And, as soon as they put in a plan mandating that people have insurance, the insurance companies jacked their rates. Who'd've anticipated that? Not me, surely.
    The shortfall's not really that big a deal, and about 250K people have insurance that didn't have it last year, so that's a plus.
    Romney's biggest problem is that he's the walking definition of a foof. No substance at all. That said, he's probably the most harmless of the leading GOP contenders.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think, in general, Republicans dress pretty well.

10. And the food at GOP events is always better.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And the drinks are stronger.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The Kool-Aid has to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted