1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Political Partisans: Say Something Nice About The Other Side

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

With all the political arguing that goes on here, from demonizing, misrepresenting, and caricaturing (is that a word? it's too early for this shit) of the other side, I'm wondering which pols running from the other side you could, in the least, respect? Who is the best from the party you'd otherwise prefer not to see win, and what are you at least intrigued by?

For me, it's Mike Huckabee. In fact, if he weren't a creationist, I'd really give him stronger consideration. That said, I still hope he wins, even if I know he won't. While religious, he hasn't come off as too morally righteous. And he seems infinitely more responsible than Bush is, or even Rudy would be. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to play well for the rest of the country, but he resonates with me.

Meanwhile McCain had my vote in 2000. And he'd contend for it again if he wasn't wrapped so tightly around this war, which like most other independents, is just unforgiveable at this point.

So what about you guys? Which GOPers do the libs at least respect and maybe even resonate with? And which Democrats do the conservatives here feel the same about? I think there HAS to be one or two from each side.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As a Republican, I think Obama has some very good points he brings up... he is articulate and a good speaker (I'm not going down the Biden road with this... lol) and projects a forceful personality. Lieberman also is someone who had similar views to mine.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I agree with John McCain's views on torture. He has more experience and knowledge on the subject than the rest of the candidates in both parties combined, but it seems like most Republicans learned all they know about torture from watching 24.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think the Democrats have assembled a good batch of candidates and will not trot out a wooden Indian like Al Gore or John Kerry. They had only themselves to blame for losing the last two elections, because they hardly gave the electorate an attractive alternative. Doesn't look it will happen this time. Hillary may be polarizing, but at least she has a pulse.

5. "Like" or "respect"?
    I can safely say I don't like any of the alternatives in the GOP side. I respected Brownback, because he walked his walk all the way to Africa and back. Huckabee looked OK until I actually heard him talking about religion and he was an aggressively anti-science quack and something of a judgmental one as well. (Taibbi limns this in the new RS). I respect McCain on a lot of levels, but he lost something with me with six years of pandering to people who hated him. Ron Paul is correct on the war, but he's a militia-loving throwback on every other issue.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dennis Kucinich has a real hot wife.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which I never understood. The guy showed immense gnadage in years of captivity, but he has totally folded when it comes to this.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They seem well-groomed.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

He's not running this year, but if the Evan Bayh who was governor of Indiana was running for Prez, he'd be a pretty good executive who really is a centrist, semi-conservative Dem who could possibly help heal some of the rift that has been brought on by the loons on the fringes of the spectrum the last 15 or so years. However, if the Evan Bayh who has been senator for the last two terms runs, we're in trouble.

Bill Richardson has always seemed like a good, levelheaded guy who would put statesmanship over partisanship, too, but he's not one of the frontrunners, either.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Boy oh boy that's true.

In a sadly unrelated matter, I would say Democrats have a lot of passion. This can have a tendency to curdle into something negative, but political passion can be a force for good under many circumstances.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with this statement. I want a leader who knows what s/he is talking about.

While I don't understand how any woman who thinks for herself could be a Republican, I was proud when the current administration made a woman the Secretary of State.

12. Well, so much for saying nice things about the opposition.

Draft saved Draft deleted