1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Olbermann fans...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackS, Apr 10, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

I post this and then step out of the way...

http://nymag.com/news/features/30338/?imw=Y

2. Decent profile.
    Nothing special -- except the Limbaugh comparison is pretty ludicrous.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's not a suck-up piece to Olbermann, who -- God knows -- has his warts.

A good read, but I agree with Fenian on the comparison to comedian Rush Limbaugh. While Olbermann's audience is definitely left-of-center, I get the feeling he'd equally criticize the Democrats if they were in the same situation.

4. I thought Rodrick downplayed one of the reasons that Olbermann fell out of favor at ESPN -- namely, that he stuck up loudly and often for his female colleagues who were mistreated there, as per Freeman's book.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm a good Republican girl. And I REALLY heart Keith Olbermann.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've watched Olbermann since his days on Channel 5 in Los Angeles and have always found him to be interesting and enjoyable to watch.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ditto. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE him and Dan Patrick together on ESPN Radio.

I've always thought Keith as an attractive, salt&pepper, kinda guy but that NYT photo is not flattering whatsoever.

And what just a second ... Barry Bonds isn't worthy of our/Keith's criticism??
    Pa-shaw!

“I think there was a lot of times where Keith’s anger was directed to targets not worthy of his anger,” says Dan Patrick. “Now he’s going after presidents and secretaries of State. They’re more worthy than Barry Bonds or a network executive.”

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Meow indeed. See my above comment. I loves me some Keith O.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I've always liked Olbermann from the first time I saw him on CNN Sports (which was left out of this article for some reason) .. he showed "sports guys" can be intelligent and he has the kind of sense of humor I like.

I still can't "forgive" him for saying Cal Ripken Jr. shouldn't break Lou Gehrig's consecutive games streak. Came off as a big-time fanboy looser™ and I thought he was better than that.

One thing that struck me about this article .... a $16,000 phone bill! Holy crap (and yes, I know he's disputing it)! He and Bill Belichick should get together for a phone intervention group ...

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You know the point when I started loving Keith? I was one of those ESPN-fan/zombies that bought the book that he and Patrick put out, "The Big Show." In it, Keith lists (ad nauseum) folks who should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. It was an extensive list. Extensive. Did I say extensive? And it showed me that there was a mind of a real baseball historian at work there. His stock skyrocketed then, as silly as baseball seems in the current scheme of things. Really love his cadence and choice of words -- and choice of targets -- the past few years.

11. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm ambivalent.

I once wanted to work for the guy, which I think would have been a good, fascinating gig.

Smart guy, we share some similar afflictions.

But .... first he makes himself a cult hero by refusing to whore himself out to the tabloid story of the hour (Bill and Monica), then he reaffirms his cult hero status ... wait for it ...

by whoring himself out to the tabloid story of the hour (Bush Lied/People Died/Blah Blah Cindy Sheehan Blah Blah Swift Boat Blah Blah Halliburton Blah Blah Dixie Chicks Blah Blah Blah).

I'll never quite work my way out of that one, sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted