1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For my 2,000th post, I am seeking some career advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Naturally, like others on here, I'm worried about my job. I've noticed other posters have suggested law school.

Thing is, my grades weren't that good in college, although I did graduate, and I'm not sure I'd want to commit to three years of law school.

But what I am considering is studying to be a paralegal.

One of my local schools has a program in which one can be a paralegal within a year.

So my question is, has anyone heard any feedback on what it's like to be a paralegal? The good and the bad. Is it basically being a glorified lawyer, only without the pay, or is it as rewarding a career as the advertisements say it is?

I'd appreciate any insight.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My first question is why?

Why are you considering law or a paralegal?

Do you have a burning desire to be in the law field?

There's so many options out there, what you need to decide is what you really want to do. There is no sense getting into a career that you will be miserable in.

3. Baron Scicluna

That's the problem. I am in the career that I want to be in right now. Unfortunately, the industry is going down the tubes.

I wanted to be in the law field as a kid. I guess I was inspired by the court shows on TV. Silly, I know. I decided not to do it because as a college freshman, I met a law student who said he didn't have any social life. As a college freshman away from home for the first time, it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I've had an interest in the law profession on other occasions, but I don't want to invest three years and untold amounts of money on something that I'm not sure of. That's why I think a paralegal is a safer way to go.

It seems like no matter what career field I choose, I'm going to take a step backward. The paralegal profession is predicted to have huge growth, so I figure it might be a better step than staying in a field that does not.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Going into communications is NOT a step backwards ... if you still want to write in some capacity, look at it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Check out page 4, Baron:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/59431/

6. Baron Scicluna

Thanks. It was a big help.

Part of my problem is motivation. Like I said, I like my job and career. But it doesn't seem to have a future. Getting myself motivated by something other than fear of job loss is the key for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted