1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For goodness sake, HIRE EXPERIENCED COPY EDITORS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True, but I think the push to gain clicks makes it worse. I read the story and I could picture the thought bubble in the editor's head every step of the way.

"No one is going to know this chick's name if I put it in the hed. Maybe 'black female swimmer?' Nah. Better go with African-American to be safe."

"Look at all the clicks and comments rolling in. I knocked that out of the park. She's not even local."

"Oh, shit."

"Bunch of PC whining Twitter pussies. You try doing better. I edited that in 2 minutes."

"Yes, sir. I'll change it right away, sir."

"(Grumble, grumble)."

"What? I left a word out this time? Jesus H. Christ. This is the worst internship ever. Next summer I'm gonna ask for pay."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a waistland these days ...

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

That low of a percentage? ;)

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Readers don't read newspapers anymore.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

A classic:

[​IMG]
    God, I love that.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Agree that even the most experienced copy editors aren't immune from bad or insensitive headlines. One of the most experienced editors I supervised many years ago on a news copy desk probably busted as many headlines as anybody, mainly because he handled such a huge workload and occasionally tried to do too much.

But if there's a sensitive or potentially libelous story on the rim, I want an experienced copy editor handling it.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The difference, of course, being that now even the inexperienced/bad copy editors are expected to do too much.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My favorite j-school instructor told us about a night President Johnson gave a speech in which he seemed to take both sides on an issue. An editor, who the teacher said appeared to have had a liquid lunch, turned in the headline "LBJ goes both ways."

studthug12 and Vombatus like this.
  9. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Don't forget this one either ...
    IkeTurnerBeatsTina.jpg

britwrit and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I love the pictures they used in the tweet apologizing for the situation. Not sure if it was intentional (probably not), but Manuel looks appalled while Phelps has the expression, "Hey, wait a minute, that doesn't look right ..."

[​IMG]

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget this doozy.

roasted.jpg

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted