1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Fathers Day ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jun 15, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Had some French toast, got a shirt, two cards and reminded that our new wireless router we got a month ago was my main gift.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's been gone seven years, but me and mine still play, every day. I wear his medal, his watch, I keep the last book he was reading (with the bookmark on page 135) on the endtable.

[​IMG]

Happy Father's Day, Pop. I will always be that kid, and that dad, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Happy Father's Day, all you SportsJournalists.com dads out there.

We're letting Mr. Rosie do pretty much as he pleases today. We made him a French toast cobbler for breakfast (it's fantabulous) and we'll be grilling steaks for supper. And if you read the what's for supper thread, you know about my dilemma.

My mom and dad are going to be stopping by later today, this is totally and completely out of the blue.

This is our first Father's Day without my father-in-law. Mr. Rosie hasn't said a thing, but for all the time he's spent in his garage today, I'm sure it's on his mind.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Called my Dad and talked to him for about a half-hour. That's about it.

I'm taking him to a Cubs game for his birthday in August.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Mailed him a card. There was a golf exposition nearby that I thought about taking him to today, but given that he's not in the best of health and that it was pouring rain all night, I thought he'd be more miserable than happy.

6. I've never been much for the Hallmark days. I'm a big believer in acting like every day is special.

It's a good thing, too, because my daughter woke me up at about 6 a.m. with a cold. She snuggled into bed between my wife and I and then her cat's kittens, which are now walking and climbing, insisted on climbing out of their makeshift room and climbing into bed with us. I put up a good fight for about an hour and then gave up carrying them back to their abode. Tired of their little claws in my side, I took my pillow and collapsed onto the couch for an hour.

My daughter woke me up with a card that had a picture of her and me with a big heart and the word "Daddy" spelled correctly not once, but twice. It made up for the lack of sleep and the fact that I'm now at work.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, that was quick.

Ten minutes. I think that beats the old record of 15.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Dad recently took a consulting job a few states away from home that has him away three weeks every month. He's lonely as hell, being away from Mom and my brother who lives at home. I sent him a care package/Father's Day present with a couple of sports mags, Raisinets (his fave), a Panera Bread gift card (Mom said it's his favorite joint near his new office) and, most importantly, several new pictures of his granddaughter that no one else had seen yet, even Mom. Easily the best gift I've ever given after decades of crappy ties and hankies.

As for me, the wife is watching the kid while I watch the Open in peace in my basement. That's all I'll ever ask for.

9. lono

lono Active Member

I wear my father's watch and his ring, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I got a card. A card from Ms. Slappy and the dog.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

lono, your dad is that guy in the dox equis commercials, right?

Killick, that's heartbreaking dude.

Me: Tuesday will be six weeks since my dad had six bypasses. He'd smoked for 50 years and has not lit up once since. My brother and I decided to make Father's Day a tailgate party, so we took some ribs to my parents' house and barbecued them. Took my dad to the store to get dog food and refill his propane tank. I was happy to do the lifting, and happy that he's still with us.

At my house, Mrs. Novelist and the kids let me sleep til I woke up of natural causes. They gave me a custom floor lamp for my home office, then we went to my folks'.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My daughter and her best friend made me chicken breast and a salad that had about 100 things in it but tasted great. We'll go to a game for my present sometime this summer. My dad's been gone about 30 years; got my vocabulary from him and was introduced to journalism by rolling one newspaper at a time in a bumpy-riding truck with his cigar ashes only occasionally creating a small flashfire in the back. My stepfather has been gone about 17 years. Learned how to face even tough situations with a little humor. Learned the patience of Job from both.

Draft saved Draft deleted