1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Fathers Day ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I woke up to a bowl of Grapenuts and yogurt with a Diet Coke on the side given to me by Emily. :)

Can't wait for the rest of the day to unfold.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My kids played quietly downstairs, letting Daddy sleep late. When I woke up, the youngest Scicluna (under age 5), asked, "Did you sleep good, Dad?"

We're going to do some fun stuff later this afternoon before I go to work.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, crap.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

For Fathers Day..... I spent the weekend with my brother — who I hadn't seen in eight years due to his Army service — in Chicago and we decided against waking up Dad at 5a West Coast time.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't call my dad because their phone got cut off. But I sent a card, and he's getting a kick-ass gift in two weeks for his birthday. Told my mom last night when she called me from my aunt's house to tell him I said Happy Father's Day.

It's all I can do.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Woke up to a picture, hand-painted by Jake, the phrase "Happy Daddy's Day!" typed across the page in block letters ... Also got the requisite bottle of Old Spice, my first. Now we're off to IHOP for pancakes. What a day.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I'll light a candle and raise a pint to him.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Papa Lono, crazy bastard that he was, passed away a while back, but he is never far from my thoughts.

He was a true wild man, someone who stomped on the terra with the aggression of a heavyweight boxer and the reckless abandon of a high-stakes poker player. He lived his entire life locked and loaded, always ready for whatever life threw at him, which turned out to be way more than he deserved.

And he took no shit from anyone, ever.

When he graduated Catholic elementary school, the head nun looked at him and said, "Someday, you'll look back on these years as the best time of your life."

"Bullshit," was his one-word reply. In front of his mother and father.

He used to deliver roses to strippers in the burlesque houses and bouquets to cancer patients in hospitals when he was seven years old and a year or two later was a courier for the local hoods who ran the numbers in the city.

As an 18-year-old kid, on his first night of boot camp in the Marines, he called out the drill instructor and picked a fight with him.

He was profane, hard-assed, uncontrollable and even in the best of times, tough to live with. But he raised six of us and did a damn fine job of it. He loved my mother, was a man of unflinching honesty and unquestioned integrity.

He taught me to honor my wife, love my children and above all else, be a stand-up guy, someone loved ones can count on when times are hard. Because sooner or later, they will be.

So, RIP, Dad.

I'll have one for you tonight.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My kids both called - I think I made my daughter cry when I told her, "I'm proud to be your daddy."
    She's running her restaurant open to close, by herself, for the first time today.

I'll tip one to your dad and mine - 41 years gone - tonight, lono. Good seeing you this weekend and safe travels back.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Like IJAG's dad, mine has a birthday closely following Dad's Day. His is next week. So, I did sort of a double-gift -- I re-upped his OnStar service for another year. But, the call was strained today. A little background: When I went off to college, the goal was to be an engineer. I couldn't hack it (I could do the classwork, but absolutely detested it.) But, I had found writing. Mom and Dad decried that they would pay for college if I studied engineering. If I wanted to chase journalism, it would be on my dime. Stupidly(?), I opted for the latter, and was a loser to my Dad until I landed a job at the a paper and had a side-gig doing a magazine for the local U's athletic department. Then, I was okay. Gave up the fanzine last summer, and my paper went tits up in January, so I'm back to being a looser no matter what great publications I freelance for.

So, happy Father's Day, Dad, from your worthless son. Sigh.

12. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Happy Father's Day to all of my fellow SportsJournalists.com dads out there.

I was awakened to breakfast in bed (waffles, eggs, peaches, toast, coffee and juice), and each of my two boys made me two handmade cards. What a great way to start my day!

Draft saved Draft deleted