1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For fans of "The Wire"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Me too. Loving season two, esp. Omar's testimony and response to how he's lived 9 years as a drug dealer stick-up guy, "Day at a time, I suppose."

I'm still a little pissed about what happened to Deangelo, though. When dude followed him into the back room I couldn't believe it: "Oh, no, fuck no, this is not about to happen... shit, f**k, dammit, no!" But yeah, they did it. I mean, with Wallace I was pissed but I could see it coming from a mile away so I was prepared. I'm really enjoying the Frank Sobotka, Nico, Ziggy & the Greek story line, too. I just finished the episode where McNulty went undercover to make his bust. Classic! As was the ADA's reaction to his write-up. I'm really nerding out on this show.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

My friend, you have only just begun to tumble down the rabbit hole....

3. Point of Order

Season 3 episode 8, where Stringer told Avon the truth, just blew me away. Maybe the best episode of the series so far. Also, the opening scene of episode 11, where Omar and Brother Mouzone meet in the alley might be the best scene of the series I've seen to date. Wow!

"Worrying about you be like wondering if the sun gon' come up. Ain't about to wild out over it."

4. Point of Order

Might not help you in law school, but in practicing law -- definitely.

added:

Actually, I need to modify that slightly. The Wire informed and inspired my opening statement a couple of weeks ago in trial advocacy class. We got to pick a side in a criminal case and prepare an opening on a fact pattern from one of those competition problems. Most of my classmates chose defense, as did I. Their opening statements were playing up the client's character, his alibi, and the weak motive the prosecution had. Some went after the victim's credibility in her ID of the client.

My statement, very much The Wire inspired, went into areas none of the classmates had thought about. I focused on a theory of attacking the cops. They tricked the victim into picking out my client, returned the victim's purse (it was a purse snatching case) without trying to get a print, hair, or any other physical evidence from the purse or any of its contents, and were just trying to get the case off their books because they'd already hauled my guy in on another charge and he was convenient. So I nailed the open thanks to McNulty & crew.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

The Stringer-Avon scene was my favorite in the entire series. Stringer was so calm and cool about everything, you only really see him get angry once or twice in the entire show.

Draft saved Draft deleted