1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For current or fallen Catholics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At least you won't be hung over for the Saturday service

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I disagree with many on the music question. Western music grew out of the Gregorian tradition. The Catholic church was the source of most Western music but have abandoned that in favourite of pop/folk bullshit.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I always kinda liked the music. Made the five-day-a-week trip to morning services bearable during my tenure in Catholic school. Few things better than a great rendition of Ave Maria.

Hated when they started to work guitars and crap into the songs.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like the dirge of Catholic music; hate the pop/folk crap. I have walked out of guitar Masses before.
    Can't remember the dirge, but a couple of months ago they played one of the traditional hymns at Mass -- of course making it politically correct, something like people instead of men. Coupled with the tool who was leading the singing, it was enough to take it off my favorite list.

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that Catholic schools are perfect, but in my area there is one public school and a parochial school that goes up to eighth grade and you would be astonished at how the Catholic-school kids kick the public-school kids asses academically every year once both groups get to high school.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The public school system I grew up in was so good, that my parents shipped me off to catholic school for high school. And my mom WORKS in that public school system. The high school I went to was far better (Blue Ribbon, actually) than what I'd have gotten staying in my public school system. Heck, my mom was going to make the family move to a neighboring district (one option was just two miles away from where we were) unless my dad gave in on the private school thing.

Of course, where I live now, which is fairly close to where I grew up, numerous high schools are in the Newsweek top 500. It's all going to vary district by district as to what's better.

And jeez, I was an altar boy until I graduated high school. Some at the church I grew up in stayed through college.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was in a similar situation to FH. My mom was a teacher in the public school system and she sent me and my three siblings to catholic school K-12. I was also an altar boy through high school.

Now I'm definitely a lapsed Catholic. The only times I go to Mass are when I go back to visit my parents. It's either go or get put through a guilt trip by my mom so it's easier to go.

The best Mass I ever went to was in Erie, PA. My buddy and I were up at his parents' house for the weekend and we wanted to go to Mass before going golfing for the day (we wanted to get 36 holes in). We went to the local church for the 8 o'clock and we were out before 8:30. That was beautiful.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Catholic Church wants to keep you in your place. Kneel, stand, kneel, stand. If you go for that sort of thing, I don't know what to do for you. A man makes his own way.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Depends on the time and place. There are threats of Wafer Watch being made against Andrew Cuomo by high Catholic muckety-mucks as a result of the N.Y. SSM vote.
    Not every priest is hardline. When I was an usher at my brother's wedding, I asked the priest at the rehearsal if I was allowed to participate even though I voted for Obama. Very cool guy.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The best part of Mass is when the priest says, "Let us go in peace to love and serve the Lord" because it meant that moment was the longest possible time between church that week and church the next week.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always feel happy leaving church.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I went to church today because the mass was offered for my dad.

Twenty-one minutes. I've never been to a mass that short.

Draft saved Draft deleted