1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For current or fallen Catholics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks, Freelance Hack. That is the ideal we should strive for, rather than spending years tweaking phrases.

Of course, in reality going to church tends to be about:

1. Doing something out of guilt/habit
    2. Annoying pre-teen and teen-age children
    3. Making snide remarks about slutty outfits, bad singing, body odor, etc.

and, last but not least,

4. Dropping a li'l something into the collection basket.

Because I'm guilty of all of these, I'm counting on God having a good sense of humor as he watches us try to "worship" him.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So that was you sitting behind me on Sunday.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was raised Catholic and most of my family still practices (some daily, some rarely) but I can't go back. The stance on homosexuality is a real deal breaker for me. Knowing that a lot of my friends are not welcome makes me feel unwelcome too.

I have been singing in the United Church of Canada for the past 18 years and it feels like home to me.

And I don't miss guitar/folk mass at all. :D

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

From what I've been told, the changes are coming from the Vatican and reflect, apparently, a truer translation from the original Latin mass.

To me, it seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Since the old man was in the Army, we had Mass over in 45 minutes every Sunday. Imagine my shock when the old man retired and we started going to civilian Mass and that lasted an hour and change.
    Somewhere through the years, when I don't know, they started doing the hand-holding crap during the Our Father. The first time I saw that, I nearly audibly said, "What the fuck?"
    I think the last three times I went to Mass in the last five years was for a funeral. My brother - he is, or was, a priest - said the Mass at two of them. One for the old man, one for mom. The third was for my godmother's mother.
    Do I miss Mass? Yeah, the ones I remembered as a kid, even the ones in the summer in Boston or on PEI (the priest was a doddering old guy but the church was just postcard beautiful). There's just stuff I don't miss either.
    For what it's worth, my brother was a helluva priest. Good homilies and understood just about everything any of his parishoners was going through because he had been there and done that before he took his vows.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Annoying pre-teen and teenage children is my only joy some weeks.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Try being Jewish - 1 hour or so service on Friday night, 3+ hour service on Saturday morning. ;D

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Raised Catholic. Dad grew up in a strict Catholic upbringing. We went to Mass every Sunday. Catholic school until the school went downhill, so off to CCD when we went to public schools. Altar boy until sixth grade. But when it came time for Confirmation (11th grade), my parents left it up to us kids. Only myself and the youngest (of five) did it.

I used to go every Sunday as an adult, but the cover-up of the pedophiles and abuse of the kids just totally turned me off, and it did the same to my parents, who were strict, go to 8 a.m. Mass every Sunday attendees who now haven't been in years.

Like mentioned above, some things I miss, others I don't.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If mass goes longer than an hour -- even a minute over -- it's a crime against humanity. Get frustrated going to my parents' church because they sing way too much there. I'm sorry, but I don't go to church to hear you sing. We really don't need every darn verse of every song.

10. Especially white people singing Gregorian chants.... Black Baptists? I'lll take in the show just for the signing. White bread Catholics? No. Thanks.

11. My parents' priest - a retired, divorced truck driver (I swear) used the pulpit to rant about the evils of abortion and a phantom legislative law that was going crush the pro-life cause.
    I got up and walked out.

Our first several priests were fresh-off-the-boat Irishmen who said half the mass in Latin.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Depends where you're at. In certain big cities, a good percentage, if not the majority, of students, are non-Catholic because the public schools are useless.

Draft saved Draft deleted