1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For current or fallen Catholics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jun 27, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A friend has a brother who is a priest. And that priest as a philosophy of "if you can't deliver your message in 5-7 minutes, they've tuned you out."
    Have always wanted to deliver that sermon to Father Hearmyselftalk and his predecessor, Father Windbag, the converted Baptist preacher.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Concluded my three-year stint on my parish's council last night. Felt more like a six-year term. I'm hoping that'll count as my stint in purgatory.

There are changes in the mass coming later this year, starting in Advent. Most notably, the Nicean Creed goes from We to I and instead of replying "And also with you" when the Priest says "The Lord be with you," we're now supposed to say "And with your spirit."

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not doing it.

Based on 97 percent of the homilies I've ever heard, I'm convinced every priest is a failed columnist. Broad metaphors, over-optimistic stabs at trying to make a point.

Yet ...

If I go to ceremony for another congregation, anything out of the Catholic "norm" feels totally foreign and out of place. So I'm Catholic whether I like the trappings or not.

Fixed.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, neither am I.

And, I agree with you on the other point as well.

I'm Catholic. I might not be a good Catholic, but it's as much a part of my identity as anything else.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

My parents went to Catholic school through college and probably could've gotten every Colbert-Jack White question right, especially the ones involving vestments and all that. Me? Zilch. And I was an altar boy through eighth grade.

Freelance, any actual rationale behind the change, or was it just more of an arbitrary thing?

When I ever get to Mass again, I can't imagine uttering anything other than the response that has been drilled into me since shortly after birth, no matter how hard I try.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I go to church regularly (as in I may miss 5-6 weeks a year, sometimes more, sometimes less), but I don't think going to Mass makes me a good Catholic or good Christian.

To me, it's more important to live your life as Jesus instructed. Love God and Love one another as we have been loved. I think it's that simple. Going to church should reinforce that message.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I will be the loudest voice saying also with you, and I will think of my grandmother who until her death in 1997 would say "Holy Ghost"

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This. And for me, maybe 2-3 times in the past 10 years, other than weddings.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How much did you get in the settlement?

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

As someone who went to St. Anne, I'm stunned neither knew the name of Mary's mother

11. Why don't they make real change .. Like allow priests to marry.
    We get up to make 8:30 mass, so we don't spend 1:20 in noon mass.

Another rant ...
    No. 1 just made his first communion. We had to do Sunday school and a couple of all-day retreats. Bit the bullet and did it with about a dozen other kids and their parents. Night of confirmation practice, 36 kids and their parents show up! I had never seen half of them ... NEVER! Not at church, not at CCD and sure as hell not at those boring-ass retreats! But sure as shit there they are with the banners, decked out in lilly-white dresses and gloves and suits with ties ready to make their first communion.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Confidentiality clause, my friend. Everything stays under the, um, cassock.

Draft saved Draft deleted