1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For current or fallen Catholics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jun 27, 2011.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This clip of Stephen Colbert and Jack White of the White Stripes trying to outdo each other on obscure Catholic knowledge is pretty damn funny.

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/jack-white-and-stephen-colbert-compete-in-a-catholic-throwdown-20110624

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd click on it, but then I'd have to say 10 Hail Mary's

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Near the end of his 20-minute weekly sermon, our longwinded priest started saying "I'm not scolding anyone" then scolded people who left after communion.
    Stared back as I walked out after communion thinking if he didn't talk to hear himself speak, I'd stay.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Our homily this week was contradictory. The church I go to prides itself on being open, etc., but then he goes into how getting the body and blood of Christ was akin to being in a country club (he didn't literally say that, but it was the tone I picked up). We don't just let anyone get Communion!

He also critiqued the way some people actually receive it.

Hey padre, I do communion how I want. Every church does it different.

I get my host, face the altar, do my sign of the cross and amscre.

And while I'm bitching, stop dicking around with a bunch of songs for the first five minutes and make with the readings. I'm there to worship, not do Up With People. Its bad enough I have to hold hands during the Our Father.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm glad I don't go anymore. I'm not holding hands during prayers. No way.
    When I go to a wedding anymore, I barely recognize the Mass. I'm always thinking 'If you want Assembly of God, go join Assembly of God.'

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I hold hands with Ms. Slappy and if her 5-year-old niece is on the other side, then her. No one else. I hate that shit too. Always have.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Somewhere along the way in the last 30 years, the Catholic Church has gone from Mr. Rodgers to Neidermeyer.
    [​IMG]

"You're all worthless and weak!"

Do they really think people need another hour of their week being reminded how they don't measure up?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope, that was something else this week. Who said church has to be an hour long... In our case, it's like 1:20, courtesy of Father Hearmyselftalk....

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. This drives my father insane.

They don't do it at his home Church, but if he's on vacation or something, he'll be the one guy in the Church not holding hands.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was so lucky as a kid to have a pastor who "went long" if he was at 50 minutes for mass. I've grudgingly accepted an hour now, though whatever public speaking classes they take in the seminary when it comes to formulating homilies need to be improved. Another priest I had growing up, who is REALLY REALLY good, and whose homilies never seem long winded no matter how long he goes, holds himself to a five minute limit in Lent.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For the most part, Mass bores the hell out of me.

As a kid, my Dad took us to 6:45 Mass every morning during Lent. I can still say the entire Mass along with the Priest. (Accept when I say it, I still mumble, "Paul our Pope, and John our Bishop.")

It's like watching a repeat of A MASH or Seinfeld episode for the 100 time.

I've seen every episode of Mass.

And, lousy Priests don't make it any better.

As for the long Masses, if they want to do a long one loaded up with music, make that one of the Masses you offer on Sunday. Make sure everyone knows the 10:30 is the long one.

The folks that don't want to spend 1:20 in Church can bang out the 0:45 version at 9:00 or noon, or on Saturday night.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ha, one year at Christmas the priest at my mom's church recited the exact same homily from the year before. Or two-years before, at the most, but I think it was only a year. Either way, it was word for word the same homily. I told everyone in my family then that I no longer had to go to church anymore since I had literally heard everything, and was now getting reruns in church.

Draft saved Draft deleted