1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Class - Pierce's The Man Amen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Another appeal for anyone who may have a link to a copy of this great article. It is the reading for my class this week. I found a link to one of those sites that takes you "inside" the book and I was able to read it that way. I made copies out of my book for my day class (and some had the book). My online class includes students from as far away as Afghanistan and this "inside" link isn't working for everyone.

HELP! Please.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Is this the "inside" one you found? rockbottom posted it on a thread in August.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9qnkKmTzzR8C&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&ots=3W6GbHlAqu&dq=%22The+Man.+Amen.%22&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html&sig=ACfU3U1i8MrRcB9vT24qbaa-DTeQvijWxg

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Try this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Xma1HTDtfCMC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=the+man,+amen+pierce&source=web&ots=Qm4s53dKTq&sig=-0ZPFvjyGMdiRCX7RnnJws57o90&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

4. Moderator1

Those work for me, am sending them out. But I'd also love a link to the actual article that I can cut and paste. I can't seem to find one of those.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Near as I can tell, Moddy, the piece isn't warehoused in GQ's online archive. Nor is it available online from its reprint in the BASW 1998 collection.

You might need to send your students near and far to their local library or used bookstore if you can't ship out photocopies to them all.

6. Moderator1

If those links above don't work, the scanner will become my friend. I have strongly recommended all buy and read the book anyway.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I think scanning or copying and distributing stories to a class is a perfectly reasonable fair-use approach. When I was teaching, I did the same. It's SOP at universities everywhere to copy single pieces out of collections rather than ask kids to buy entire anthologies unless absolutely necessary.

In service of the greater good - and the shaping and sharpening of the young American mind - I think Mr. Pierce would be OK with it.

8. Moderator1

Well, it will lead to more sales for him. That's for sure.
    I have a browsing shelf in my office. Many of my students have looked through his book and they get a strong recommendation every time.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm near finishing "Hard to Forget" and about to get into "Sports Guy."

I heart Charlie Pierce.

Draft saved Draft deleted