1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Canuckistanis here: RIP Peter Lougheed, Mr. Alberta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JR

JR Active Member

No matter what your political stripe, Lougheed was arguably one of the greatest provincial premiers of the last forty years.

He was the consummate Red Tory, fiercely pro business particularly when it came to the oil business and he fought Ottawa tooth and nail to ensure that Alberta got its fair share of oil revenue.

His Heritage Fund for Alberta, his role in the patriation of our constitution and his philanthropic work are still symbols of what politicians can and should be .

RIP Mr. Lougheed. Our country has lost a great person.
  2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Definitely a sad day for Alberta. My dad served Lougheed pancakes at a pancake breakfast in the early 80s, The Edmonton Sun took a picture of it and ran it on its front. He boasted about it for the next 20 years.
    He did a lot for the province and is a big reason it became as prosperous as it is today.
  3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not a native Albertan so I was unprepared for the genuine grief that some of my friends are expressing over Lougheed. At 84 it is not exactly tragic but people here are reacting like a family memebr has died.

I knew his impact but did not realize how beloved.
  4. JR

JR Active Member

I think that's is fair to say that he was loved in Alberta and universally respected by everyoe across the country.

Hell, I was/am a dyed in the wool Liberal but I probably would have voted for him if I lived in Alberta. Well, actually, there wasn't any choice. :)
  5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Just re-reading my post I realized that I may have come across as criticizing those folks who are acting like a family member has died. This was certainly not my intent. I was just genuinely suprised at how beloved he was as I did not know.

As a Red Tory myself I always respected his politics and how he did business.

JR I hope you are not going down a slippery slope of sentiment where you may have to say something nice about Harper :)
  6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He won't. Not on my watch anyway. :D
  7. JR

JR Active Member

Uh, no I won't.

Lougheed was a gentleman and a statesman. Harper is a thug in a nice suit with an awful haircut.

Pete Lougheed represented the best in parliamentary democracy, consensus and nation building.

Harper represents none of those attributes.
Draft saved Draft deleted