1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario: A tribune to the Aud.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Don't forget the Little Three doubleheaders, back when Bob Lanier's Brown Indians faced off against Calvin Murphy and Niagara in front of a SRO crowd. Eddie Donovan. Taps Gallagher. Frank Layden. The Stith brothers. Wish I'd been around to see those games ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Watching Wisconsin - Minnesota on WKBW and they just promo'd a feature on Commander Tom on Monday. Another huge part of my childhood: Tom Jolls and Rocketship 7.

3. St. Bonnie's.
    The Soul Patrol!

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A "tribune" to the Aud?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well no one can spot fail faster than a Devil Rays fan. ;D

6. 2muchcoffeeman

I admit to no small amount of disappointment that with all the editors frequenting this board, that particular typo survived for more than 24 hours. ;D

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Awesome.

Sorry, Java ... that was funny.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Your American League champions ...

[​IMG]

:)

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

first sporting event I ever attended was at the Aud...my Dad took me when I was five to watch a sectional h.s. hoops tourney...nearly 50 years later, I remember so much about that day...that was the first of about 100 trips I made there...I can never prove this, but I was the first person through the turnstile at a Sabres game...waited there an hour an a half just for the honor....and it was a real rush, 25 years later, to actually cover an event there...

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My stepfather has talked about the occasional hockey game he and his family went to during his earlier days. I didn't hear many stories about the arena itself, but I think much of it was going to Buffalo - the nearest metropolitan area - and just taking in the atmosphere. He certainly didn't grow up much of a sports fan, but the stories were pretty good.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's some fascinating trivia - the host of Rocketship 7, who went by the nom de plume Dave Thomas, is the father of actor David Boreanaz. Both were born in Buffalo, although the family moved to Philly where the dad changed his name once again to Dave Roberts. He's still a TV weatherman there.

That would have made for a clever ending to his son's second TV series. "The forecast calls for sun, SON!! *throws open the curtains, frying Angel the vampire on the spot*

12. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My first NHL game, I was 8-9 years old circa 83-84 at the Aud on New Year's Eve against the Islanders. Perreault scored, that much I know, along with the guy behind me that spilled beer on my head. My father, always one to have my back, 'don't worry son, it's good for the hair."

And, the Sabres won.

Draft saved Draft deleted