1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario: A tribune to the Aud.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Say goodbye to an old friend this weekend. A huge, huge part of my youth.

http://www.audfarewell.com/

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario

Someone save me one of those Stanley Cup banners.

3. JR

JR Active Member

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Great old barn

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

My first NHL game was in that building. I believe it was during the second season of the LaFontaine-Mogilny era. Ahh.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

If you can find it somewhere on the web, our own Elliotte Friedman did a fantastic feature on the Aud last spring.

6. micropolitan guy

Yes, he sent me that. It was classic. Maybe he can re-post it onm this thread if he checks in to check it out.

The original Aud, before the balacony was added for the Sabres' second year, in 1971-72, was a super place. The big lobby, walking up those tunnels to the blues and grays, college basketball doubeheaders, the old AHL Bisons, the Braves ...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wow.....a lot of history, but I'm glad it's receiving a proper send-off. I assume it's slated to be torn down. Has it been used for anything at all since the Sabres left?

8. micropolitan guy

Nope, There were plans to convert it into a Bass Pro or an Aquarium, but those fell through. I think it's being torn down and a smaller Bass Pro will be built there as well as parking for the Eric Canal locks historic district, etc.

9. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Pretty sure it was posted here, right around the Winter Classic.
    Yeahhhh ...

Still the only place I've ever seen an NHL game. The first one, when I was 12? Dad just happened to pick the night Gretzky broke the single-season goal-scoring record, and Perreault (not wanting to be upstaged on home ice) answered with a hat trick. Think I still have the souvenir pucks we bought that night.

Nothing like sitting in the cheap seats and watching the fog -- combined with a cloud of cigarette smoke, I think -- descend as the game moved into the third period ...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never saw a game at the Aud but I remember watching a lot of Sabres games from there on ch. 29 back in the day with Ted Darling and - I think - Jim Lorentz behind the mike.

11. Re: For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario: A tribune to the A

[​IMG]

He weeps.
    (Note -- the Aud was host to great NBA games as well. Randy Smith may weep, too.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Versus did a short feature on the Aud when they were televising a Sabres game about a month ago. The arena still looks like it did when it closed, with some minor damage from the years of neglect.

Draft saved Draft deleted