1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario: A tribune to the Aud.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Say goodbye to an old friend this weekend. A huge, huge part of my youth.

http://www.audfarewell.com/

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario

Someone save me one of those Stanley Cup banners.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Great old barn

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My first NHL game was in that building. I believe it was during the second season of the LaFontaine-Mogilny era. Ahh.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

If you can find it somewhere on the web, our own Elliotte Friedman did a fantastic feature on the Aud last spring.

6. micropolitan guy

Yes, he sent me that. It was classic. Maybe he can re-post it onm this thread if he checks in to check it out.

The original Aud, before the balacony was added for the Sabres' second year, in 1971-72, was a super place. The big lobby, walking up those tunnels to the blues and grays, college basketball doubeheaders, the old AHL Bisons, the Braves ...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wow.....a lot of history, but I'm glad it's receiving a proper send-off. I assume it's slated to be torn down. Has it been used for anything at all since the Sabres left?

8. micropolitan guy

Nope, There were plans to convert it into a Bass Pro or an Aquarium, but those fell through. I think it's being torn down and a smaller Bass Pro will be built there as well as parking for the Eric Canal locks historic district, etc.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was posted here, right around the Winter Classic.
    Yeahhhh ...

Still the only place I've ever seen an NHL game. The first one, when I was 12? Dad just happened to pick the night Gretzky broke the single-season goal-scoring record, and Perreault (not wanting to be upstaged on home ice) answered with a hat trick. Think I still have the souvenir pucks we bought that night.

Nothing like sitting in the cheap seats and watching the fog -- combined with a cloud of cigarette smoke, I think -- descend as the game moved into the third period ...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never saw a game at the Aud but I remember watching a lot of Sabres games from there on ch. 29 back in the day with Ted Darling and - I think - Jim Lorentz behind the mike.

11. Re: For Buffalonians, WNYers and those from Southern Ontario: A tribune to the A

[​IMG]

He weeps.
    (Note -- the Aud was host to great NBA games as well. Randy Smith may weep, too.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Versus did a short feature on the Aud when they were televising a Sabres game about a month ago. The arena still looks like it did when it closed, with some minor damage from the years of neglect.

Draft saved Draft deleted