1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For BKN lovers: Allen Iverson - HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 6, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sorry to start another HOF thread, but qtlaw's thread about retro hoops got me watching my DVD collection of Sixers games past and present.

So, Iverson. Four scoring titles, one MVP. Second only to MJ in career PPG. Carried a sorry-sack team on his back, with a broken tailbone, to an NBA Finals appearance.

Pretty impressive for guy who's only a hair bigger than the puny wimp who's posting this.

What say you?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's almost a perfect comp for Rickey Henderson in MLB: for 80% of his career he was sailing along toward virtual acclamation as one of the greatest of the great, a virtually automatic first-ballot selection, not only a Hall of Famer but probably a member of the Inner Circle (Ruth-Williams-Mays or Russell-Magic-Oscar as the case may be), but with several dogshit seasons on the end of his career, pulled himself back down into "ordinary Hall of Fame" territory.

Iverson should get in, but not into the upper pantheon.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, Allen's a Hall of Famer.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if there's an MVP who isn't in.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Correct -- every eligible MVP is in.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not better than Chuck B., but a no brain HOFer.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I used to think that Nash would be the first one not to get in, but the back nine of his career has been pretty good.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The standard for election to the basketball HOF is a lot lower than it is perceived to be in discussions like these. It ain't baseball. Much more "eh, why not?"

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, it's also overloaded with coaches and non-NBA guys, instead of players. Artis Gilmore didn't even get in until 2011.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. The man was unique. A 6-foot scoring blitz who single-handedly carried that Sixers team to the Finals awhile back.

There's been few like him before. He was literally unguardable. It's said how his career ended, but when you think of pro basketball, Allen Iverson's name often comes up.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So much fun to watch, like Pedro in that way.

He's a shoo-in.

Draft saved Draft deleted