1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"For Better Or For Worse" to continue, characters to be "frozen in time"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm putting this here because I thought it's fairly newsworthy, and quite interesting.

Cartoonist Lynn Johnston had planned to retire from the strip in September. She's now decided to continue, but there will be a twist: no one will get any older.

So if you were waiting to see April grow up and leave the nest like Michael and Elizabeth have already done, forget it. Ellie's dad, Jim, also won't be kicking off due to the effects of his stroke or for any other reason, apparently.

Johnston's been drawing the strip since 1979.

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/169553

BONUS!!! You can also vote in the Star's poll on who you think Elizabeth should choose out of the three guys who are hot for her -- Warren the chopper pilot, Paul the cop or Anthony from high school.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There is absolutely no way in hell that Liz will be with anyone other than that shemale cumdumpster Anthony. Paul will be caught cheating with Liz's replacement in that First Nations village, the writing of which has been on the wall for months now. There's almost no way this doesn't end with the cloyingly obvious Liz-Anthony wedding. It's as obvious as the end to a Hulk Hogan match in 1986.

Lynn really should just hang it up at this point. Back in the 80's and 90's she had a great damned strip, one that touched on a lot of controversial-for-the-funny-pages topics like child abuse and homosexuality, and the rescue of April/death of Farley was about as good as it got. But now outsiders are painted as evil caritcatures (Becky, Kourtney, the Kelpforths that burned down Michael and Deanna's apartment with their smoking, Howard Erk, Deanna's mom) with no shade of even charcoal gray, as subtle as anal sex from a rhinosaurus. I read it out of habit and a "here comes the trainwreck" morbid curiosity, but this sanctimonious pablum is right up there with Celine Dion in terms of Canadian weapons of mass destruction.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll have to remember that one. :D

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My new favorite phrase.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to know Lynn pretty well back when she first started her career.

She and her husband (the dentist) lived in Hamilton and she was a regular customer at our bookstore. She used to come in and chat up a storm about her "idea for a comic strip".

Her first book was published by a dipshit little publisher in Hamilton. Potlatch Publications, whose main system of distribution was the owner's station wagon.

She did a mural for us in our kid's book section that the new owner took down after he bought the store in the mid 80's. If he didn't throw it out, that thing's worth a small fortune.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was hoping the strip would end with Farley, back from the dead, ripping the whole family to shreds.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My local metro was one of the papers who pulled that strip after they had some strips on lesbian sex or bad words made an appearance or something similar.
    It is the same paper that pulled another strip since it had the word "fart" in it.
    And don't even bother asking about "The Boondocks."

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's terrible! Poor Farley.

[​IMG]

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This seems like a moronic decision, but I'll wait to see what the strip delivers.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wanted a special strip where April loses her virginity.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<b>"But now outsiders are painted as evil caritcatures...</b>

Wow, imagine that in a comic strip.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Talk about gay ... She-Ra Anthony had his dick implode, so if Liz married him/her, what is that?

Actually, sounds like a Springer show.

Draft saved Draft deleted