1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Beatles/George H./Prince/Music fans - check this out...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 22, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

a couple of other all-star tributes on Beatles songs:
    From the 1988 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame induction:

Not sure of which year this one is from:

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It was. Enjoying himself in the HoF clip, but looked like he was near tears in the Clapton clip.

I'm reminded of a cover blurb from Musician magazine a decade or so ago listing all (or some of) the reasons it's great to be Clapton; among them:

• Friends with George Harrison.
    • Married Patti Harrison.
    • Still friends with George Harrison.

And Prince for some reason never gets mentioned among the great rock guitarists. No question that he should be mentioned.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

His solo at the end of Purple Rain is beyond good.

4. That's what dazzled me the one (and only) time I saw him. I thought the band was good and the songs were cool, and he could flat put on a show, but, damn, he canplay the fucking bucket. Owes not a little to Jimi, too.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Man, I wish Petty had "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the Highway Companion tour setlist.

Then again, I'm not complaining too loudly. After all, they did a kick ass job on the Traveling Wilburys "Handle With Care." Plus they did Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well." AND "Insider." Plus, Stevie Nicks tore the fucking cover off "I Need To Know" and was much more into "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" than usual.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was awesome. Thanks for the lead. Love George Harrison and it was fun seeing those guys look like they were just jamming.

The one and only time I slept out for tickets was for the Purple Rain tour in '85 (?) and it was worth it (took turns with buddies sleeping in car and standing in line, vowed never ever doing that again though). Prince was so dynamic whether it was on the guitar or on the piano.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the only Super Bowl I've covered had a Super Bowl show (Prince) that was worth a shit.

Watching Prince do Purple Rain in the rain was, frankly, my favorite memory from that game and one of the best performances I've seen in person.

8. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Mad cool. Just mad cool.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Reminds me of a Pink Floyd show.

And: I had NO idea Prince was such a good musician. [/youngpeople]

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My views on Prince, using the Conventional Wisdom approach of Newsweek (?)

Old CW: Overrated singer, overheated sexually. (Down arrow)
    New CW: Damn, did you HEAR that guitar solo? (Up arrow)

11. New CW is very smart.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The shred from 4:00-4:45 is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Holy crap. he makes that guitar fucking cry out to heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted