1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the oppressed white males out there....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dream job, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i won't be as polite to Ezal. that was a fucking bullshit statement and I am betting you are wrong on that, fucking moron.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

100 years? What an optimist.

How is newpaper hiring substantially different than other industries?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Try walking into an accounting office and getting hired without passing the CPA exam. Same with lawyers. Same with doctors.

Want to sell stocks? You need a license for that, too.

Food service? License.

Employee benefits? License in most cases.

Journalism is just about the only allegedly professional endeavor that does not require a license.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whaddya talkin' 'bout?

I've got a nifty laminated press pass.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

As do I. I don't recall having to get a license to get it. I just had to smile for the camera.

6. joe

joe Active Member

White males -- and I'm one -- won the genetic lottery in this country. We still make more, on average, than any other ethnic group in the country. We're still the upwardly mobile. We're still the eminently hireable. So quit bitching. We got it easy.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I know what you're attempting to say, although I don't think it makes much sense. But regardless, please choose your words more carefully.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hilarious last name.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The minority hiring pool is awful.

Change THAT for fucking chrissakes.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The moment he did something that demented.... we knew, without reading a word, that he was not qualified for that job, or many others.

12. JME

JME Member

Let me pose this question, and please don't rate this for PC-ness, it's a legit question: For the women and minority reporters among us, how many people with your same profile did you know who wanted to be sports reporters as well? Did they stick with it? What were their experiences?

I ask only because on one hand it seems like there's a very small pool of such applicants -- relatively speaking -- while on the other hand some, such as boots, have said that the reason is because non-white males are discriminated against by sports editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted