1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the oppressed white males out there....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dream job, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

come on. i'm sure most people will settle for 99.7 percent.

2. 85bears

85bears Member

I am saddened by the hate on here. "You guys"?

There is a lot of ugliness rearing itself on these threads, some of it directed at me for an innocuous comment on another thread.

This is very, very, very sad. Some of you should be extremely ashamed of yourselves.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

"Most qualified hire" is highly, highly subjective.

Not too long ago, there was a guy on here who shouted to the world that he was "good enough" to work for the Plain Dealer. He was so sure he was the best candidate for the job, he attempted to sue when he didn't get it.

Then he posted his work.

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't special. Sorry - I'm just calling it like I saw it.

I recently thought I had the 'perfect resume' and 'perfect experience' for a job. When I saw who they hired, I realized they were looking for something totally different.

White men: Just because you think you're so much better than a minority or female candidate because of your 'experience'.... Keep in mind, that employer may simply be looking for a different voice. It's subjective.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thus concludes today's lecture titled: "Subjective: The Way The World Should Be."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, Dye, you cracking on Luggie for having a reasoned post backed up by her own experience?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just the lecture at the end.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Once more, with feeling: My problem isn't with someone hiring a minority candidate after reviewing our resumes and clips and references and whatever. My problem is with being told not to bother sending in a resume or clips or references because I'm not a minority. So yes, in that sense, there are while males being shut out of positions. I'm all for expanding the pool of minority applicants. I'm all for expanding the pool of applicants, period. Let me put my stuff up against anyone's and the SE will decide whose is better. If I lose, I lose and go on to the next one. I can handle that. It's the artificial shrinking of the pool that bothers me. The fact is, by doing that, those hiring will never know if I was significantly better than those they hired. Maybe I wasn't. The point is, they don't know.

8. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

I'm not supposed to see anything wrong with this? Getting shut out of four jobs, maybe the four jobs I'd love to have, because of the color of my skin and my gender?

Is that not discrimination, just because a lot of white males are in this field? God, I don't understand this at all.

9. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

I don't think a single black person can say they didn't get a sportswriting job because of the color of their skin. White people can.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There are a lot of white men out there not getting jobs and rationalizing it with the so-called "minority hire" problem.  The reality is, some of them are idiots.  That's why they didn't get the job.

It's a problem.  Having these people join your chorus isn't helping your 'cause.'

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Luggoe --
    I have no doubt those people are out there. I've met 'em.
    How about the people who didn't get jobs because of a hiring freeze, etc. while the company waited on a quota hire? i've met them, too.

it isn't a black and white issue.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok Ezal... I was with you until that one...

Draft saved Draft deleted