1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all the oppressed white males out there....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dream job, Jun 28, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The one thing about Flores is that people didn't make THAT big a deal about it because it was The Raiders and they were known as a cutting edge organization.
    As far as the Rooney rule is concerned, I think it's gone very quietly that they selected an African American so succeed Cowher. That shows practicing what you preach.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

which kinda was my point. a black man being hired as coach really isn't that big of a deal any longer.

3. boots

boots New Member

It shouldn't be but to many it is. That's why some spell America Amerikkka.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn dude, i don't get that from society. maybe it's where i live.

5. boots

boots New Member

Ask people of a darker hue and I think you will find that many agree with the latter spelling. The last line in the pledge of allegiance, "With liberty and justice for all." isn't true.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

boots - my "circle of trust" isn't virgin white. i understand what folks not of my skin tone endure each and every day because i witness it when i'm with them (although, no, i don't live it) ... and i'm not attempting to say it's not there. but, most black/latino/whatever guys i talk with about race relations that are my age, agree plenty has changed in the past 20 years.

in this instance, you only can hope for change, and i think it's there.

my kids have no idea of skin tone. they judge folks for who they are. i can guarentee you, i, and most of my '80s generation, wasn't raised in that manner.

my point is/was, embrace positive change, which, in the bigger scheme of evolution, is coming rather rapidly in this point in time, instead of being irritated by it.

maybe i'm wrong dude. honestly, i'm just giving one white guy's POV.

7. boots

boots New Member

I feel what you're saying and I'm just giving another white guy's take on the situation. I long for the day that everyone is judged equally.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

boots, not trying to come off as being a snickers bars hater (not that there's anything wrong with hating snickers bars) and get all sensitive here, but it's all in what you pass down to the next generation. you don't fill kids' minds with shit, and they have less to wade through when they grow up.

9. boots

boots New Member

True but some can't tell the difference between shit and mud. Are things better than they were? Can they get better? The answer to both questions is yes. I'm doing my part TP and it seems you are too. Unfortunately, there are too many who aren't doing anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted