1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For $250 million, would you take performance-enhancing drugs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullwinkle, Feb 8, 2009.

?

Would you do it?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. On my deathbed, I would have my integrity and peace of mind that I did it right, whatever I did and however well I did it. I'd be dying, money or not.

So no, I wouldn't. But maybe that's just me.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This question is a red herring, because the person answering essentially is going from zero to $250,000,000 or, at best, from $100 K to $250,000,000.
    It's pure BS, constructed as a means of getting A-Rod off the hook for what he did.
    Perhaps Rodriguez would not have earned $250,000,000 if he'd never taken any form of PED.
    But he'd have been weathy, and great.
    Perhaps not that wealthy, perhaps not that great. But that's not the question posed.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Isn't the whole problem with steroids that they are not good for your body in the long run? Isn't that why they are illegal?
    LASIK is legal. Sure it enhances performance, but so does a healthy diet and exercise regimen.

4. The Life

The Life Member

I know it's a technicality but I don't think steroids are illegal. I think distributing them is, but not using them. It's like cigarettes for minors. They can legally smoke, but it's illegal to sell to them.

That being said, I don't think the steroids A-Rod took are as bad as others. They seem to be tame and have little negative effects.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'm pretty sure taking prescription drugs without a prescription is against the law.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anabolic steroids are Schedule III drugs along with barbiturates, LSD precursors, veterinary tranquilizers like ketamine and narcotic painkillers like Vicodin. Possession of any Schedule III substance is punishable by up to a year in federal prison along with a fine of at least $1,000. Penalities for those with prior drug convictions are stronger, obviously. That law's been in place since 1990. Illegal to possess, illegal to use.

There are also state laws to consider.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Anyone on this board who says yes to this question, that he/she would take a drug to perform better at his/her job, would also have to answer yes to the question of whether he/she would make up quotes, invent scenarios and fabricate information to make his/her news stories and features more worthy of attention.
    Any takers, still?

Draft saved Draft deleted