1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For $250 million, would you take performance-enhancing drugs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullwinkle, Feb 8, 2009.

?

Would you do it?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's the question posted on ESPN.com right now. For $250 million -- A-Rod's salary -- would you take performance-enhancing drugs? I have to say that I would. I might not live to full capacity, but I'd enjoy the heck out of that money.

The results so far are surprising:

Yes: 63% (seems low)
    No: 37%

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Umm, yes.

Plus, he has made or will make more than $250 million in his career.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I would. Pertinent question, but I don't think it translates to ARod at all. Dude would make more than $200 million anyway during his career. In his case, I guess the question would be more like "would you take it for the extra $50 mill?"

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depends on one factor: What performance will I enhance?

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You would enhance your ability to be a fraud.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

250 million for A-Fraud. Sure why not everyone else is doing it.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Years ago, a survey posed this scenario to Olympic athletes: There's a performance-enhancing substance that will go undetected and help you win a gold medal. However, 10 years after you win your gold medal, you will drop dead. Would you take it?

Two-thirds of respondents said they would, if only to reap the benefits of that gold medal (cash, prestige, etc.). Live fast, die young, leave a good-looking corpse, indeed.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So it would turn me into BYH.

Hmmm ... have to consider that factor.

9. Would I have to have sex with Madonna to get the money?

If yes - then I pass.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

We were asking that question last night at the office.
    Or put into the frame of our own business, if someone said, "if you take this 'roid, you will be able to write stories that would make Ernest Hemingway jealous or create leads that would put Grantland Rice to shame", then hell yes, shoot me up.
    that would be more important than the $250 million.
    hey, hey, guys...just kidding there. ;)
    but to answer your question, even if I knew I would be history within 10 years, I'd probably go for it. tempting, very tempting.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Interesting hypothetical. But given that we're talking about Alex Rodriguez, why would you do it?

He had the deal, he had the money and he had the ability, anyway. It's one thing if you're a borderline MLB-level player trying to stay in The Show. Another thing altogether if you're Alex Rodriguez.

Draft saved Draft deleted