1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Footloose: Remaking the ultimate '80s period piece

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 9, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Today I saw that a remake of Footloose was coming out in October. I'm not sure how to feel. Someone whom I didn't know the existence of is playing Ren. Julianne Hough can be as vacuous as Lori Singer was in the Ariel role. John Lithgow is a hard act to follow in any role, but I think Dennis Quaid could do some quality scenery chewing as the Reverend. And I think Andi MacDowell will likely be a step up from Dianne Wiest's uberpassive take on the Reverend's wife.

But I do have concerns. Most of the music from the first soundtrack would be laughable to keep in. But is today's music light enough to bring out the transcending quality that got the repressed kids dancing in the original? And in the age of the Internet, would the big city and the small town truly be that different? The Internet crunches differences.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

From what I saw in the trailer, they're taking a very much Step Up-esque hip-hop approach to the music.

The trailer looks awful, tbh.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, remaking the ultimate 1980s period piece would be remaking "Miami Vice." Oh, oops.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dooley,

Thanks for wasting 15 seconds of thought on this film so I don't have to.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just because you didn't go to prom...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless this is a NC-17 movie with Julianne Hough walking around naked for the entire film, the chances of me seeing this movie are less than Bernie Madoff being invited to Kevin Bacon's birthday party.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And today, wouldn't someone challenge the ban on dancing in court?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Looks aggressively bad.

I wouldn't know Julianne Hough if she showed up on the doorstep.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love it! I hope this remake is a courtroom drama.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She's be the blonde who can sing and dance among all the hotties on the porch.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

BYH needs to weigh in on this.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The trailer:

My take: Generally, if MTV's involved I'm going to steer clear. I'm not their target audience. If I see it, and that's a big if, it will be for $1 or less. It does seem to have a heavy Step Up influence.

Julianne Hough, whom I'd never heard of before this thread, is quite fetching, but her approximation of a Texas accent, at least from what can be heard on that trailer, leaves a lot to be desired. The hs coach from The Blind Side is in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted