1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Footloose comes to life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 8, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Lets hear it for the boy!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. lono

lono Active Member

FIXED

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Military academies do it.

4. Zag is spot-on with this.

Many religions believe in the concept of "free agency". That is, you are free to make whatever choice you want. Someone else is not going to make the choice for you. That is how you take ownership for your own moral compass, so to speak.

That's what the principal is doing here. He's allowing the kid to make the decision about whether to go to the prom instead of making the decision for him. But the kid knows the rules, and he knows the consquences for doing so.

You don't have to like it or agree with it. Most people on here probably won't, and there is nothing wrong with that. But as many have said, the kid knew the rules of the game going in.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Tell that to every HS athlete who got suspended for drinking at a party.

(I know, I know, extra-curriculars are different).

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Baptist school denied rumors this morning that it canceled classes today. Many radio and television stations were broadcasting live from a grocery store parking lot across the street from the school.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Again, here is the thing... no set punishment was declared.

The principal only said, "There are consequences for your actions." That is very obtuse. It could mean, "You could end up impregnating your girlfriend" or it could mean that the student will be mocked.

If the principal reminded the student that there was a specific policy against going to the dance, then I can sort of understand. However, no such policy was reinforced.

The kid got hosed.

9. No, the kid knew going in that his school has a policy against dancing.

If he chooses to thumb his nose at that policy, he has to deal with the consequences.

Pretty cut and dried, if you ask me.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Kid's parents should have threatened to leave the church and stop payment on tuition. He would have been reinstated within hours.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, I doubt that very seriously.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Again, what were the consequences?

If the kid thinks he's getting detention and feels that going to the dance would be worth it, then I'm fine with the point.

The problem is the "consequences" weren't exactly laid out before the crime took place. It would be like finding out that the pack of gum you stole carries a punishment of death.

Draft saved Draft deleted