1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Footloose comes to life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 8, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

From my hometown -- Christian school principal forbids senior from going to the public school's prom because rock music is bad! If he goes, he'll be suspended!

No word on if the students from the school are allowed to go to wedding receptions, pro sports events, grocery stores, or anywhere else rock music might be played. Oh, and don't forget the hand holding. Someone might hold hands at the prom, too!

http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/2009/May/08/ar_news_050809_story3.asp?d=050809_story3,2009,May,08&c=n

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sorry, a private school can have its policies and is entitled to enforce them. Assuming he & his parents knew the rules & enrolled anyway, it's their ball & their court. I feel bad for them that publicizing it & making them seem nuts, but some religious schools are just different than what most people are used to and are allowed to be.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

So anything not on that list (crack, anal, huffing) is a thumbs up?

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The Christian school principal is *really* gonna flip when he hears what the kids to *after* prom.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Of course they can, but that doesn't mean their absurd policies can't be publicly ridiculed.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Of course, the public school requires students from other schools to submit permission slips from their school's principal in order to attend the prom. And this student received that permission slip from his principal ...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

What? Permission slip from the principal to attend a prom? WTF?

8. Guy_Incognito

OK, had only read your excerpt - I agree he shouldn't have signed if he didn't want him to go.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I still don't understand why one school requires a permission slip from the other school's principal.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I don't think the school should be able to dictate what they do when they are not at school.

11. Guy_Incognito

Why not?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because you're not under their supervision, not on their grounds, and thus not under their control. It should be up to the child's parents, and no one else.

Draft saved Draft deleted