1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FootballCoachScoop.Com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HHDougB, Dec 8, 2009.

1. HHDougB

HHDougB New Member

If you could care less, don't ready, but I just wanted to let whoever wants to know, know.

CollegeFootballScoop.com is posting coaching rumors saying "our source close to the situation."

I only checked out two stories they posted today, but if they've done it twice today it's certainly more.

First. The "Scoops"

Kent State:
    Sources tell us that the search committee has narrowed the list of Athletic Director candidates down to these people: Herb Page (Kent State Director of
    Golf and Men’s Golf Coach), Mike Waddell (Cincinnati Senior Associate Athletic Director-External Relations), Mike Hermann (Towson Director of Athletics),
    Christine Plonsky (Texas Director of Women’s Athletics) and Anton Goff (Maryland Associate Athletic Director).

Richmond:
    Our source close to the situation tells us that UR Athletic Director Jim Miller is very interested in getting a replacement with continuous building of the
    program. According to our source, he will talk with Vic Shealy (Defensive Coordinator/Richmond Graduate), Mike Faragalli (Offensive Coordinator/Former
    Head Coach Toronto Argonauts), Kevin Higgins (Citadel Head Coach) and Tom Gilmore (Holy Cross Head Coach).

Now that Richmond information. Anyone in Richmond happen to catch the front of page of the RTD sports section this morning? Yep, same four names mentioned. Also on RTD website. That's O'Connor's stuff, but no credit given.

Secondly, the Kent State Athletic Director "scoop." Quick google search - Kent State Athletic DirectorSearch + Herb Page - First link takes you to http://www.recordpub.com/news/sports_article/4725167 which lists the same five names FootballCoachScoop lists coming from their "source."

Two emails to FootballCoachScoop alerting them to my suspicions. Zero response.

Rant over.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Unless you can also pull demonstrably hot chicks, I call bullshit.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Hey, footballscoop.com? Remember the cake in Animal House?

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Someone, maybe even on this board, posted a link to a blog that started a rumor Notre Dame was looking at Wisconsin's Bret Bielema as its coach.

That blog sent an e-mail to the webmasters at the site and said that the writer used to work at Notre Dame and still talked to people there. It led to several big-time outlets erroneously running with it yesterday (Monday).

The site just throws stuff against the wall to see if it sticks. It repeated a post this afternoon, from last week, that Brian Kelly would not be hired as the coach at Notre Dame. Let's see how that goes.

5. WS

WS Member

yeah, footballscoop.com linked the offensive coordinator at the school I cover to another school. I called him on that and he said no one from there had even contacted people associated with them. Lo and behold, he's not a candidate according to their "updated" list

yet, they pride themselves on BREAKING stories and BEING FIRST

In 2005, footballscoop.com said the leading candidate to become the offensive coordinator at school I cover was one guy. That led to the fan board getting fired up. The next day, I found out it was someone else, who had never even been mentioned on the fan boards or footballscoop.com and reported it. That hire was announced a few hours later.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Here ya go:
    http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2009_12_01_archive.html#7014119063071457519

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That site has no credibility and we shouldn't even care if they steal our shit. It is that irrelevant.

If we pretend it doesn't exist, it won't.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's funny because in this day and age a reporter can make up a rumor and post it somewhere and it damn well will become a story with other reporters having to get quotes from ADs like the Bielsma (sp) thing. Wow is all I can say.

What do you folks think of this scenario.
    Let's say I'm covering a coaching search. I get a fake internet name and post on some fan website that so and so coach is a candidate for the opening. Then I write about it in my paper saying it was a rumor and get the AD to knock it down. I look good for having some fresh copy on the coaching search and I created the information myself. Would that ever happen?

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I've emailed this site and others multiple times for lifting/stealing/taking exact quotes and names from my stories and not giving credit to my newspaper.

Of course, no response.

Most of their "scoops"=Read it in local beat reporter's story/blog, saw it on a message board, etc.

It's crap. They're hacks. Nothing is more frustrating in this business than doing all the work and having some numbnuts take your work and pass it off as your own. The State U scout.com guy pulls the same crap all the time.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I go to footballscoop.com a few times a day this time of year. They're absolutely terrible for attribution, but accepting that, they are ahead of newspapers on some hires and candidates. It's a valuable site to keep track of all the changes, but yes, a lot of their best sources are newspaper writers that don't get credit.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

footballscoop.com and footballcoachscoop.com are two different sites.

12. HHDougB

HHDougB New Member

Yeah FootballScoop gives credit to the website or newspaper sometimes at least, but doesn't link to an article. . FootballCoachScoop does not.

That is what makes MLBTraderumors.com a great, respectable site. Tim Dierkes (guy that runs it) just "gets it."

Draft saved Draft deleted