1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football tabs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SFIND, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sure sounded to me like you were complaining. What? You jealous of my enjoyment of Cowherd? Don't feel bad. I enjoy your fodder, too.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do you and your assistant get paid overtime? If not, cut the damn thing down.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I missed the obvious earlier.

Hi Fredrick!

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well fuck you, just kidding. We had two tabs, both were done in advance and supposed to be printed on a Friday night.

After working on them, along with my normal other duties I had them ready Friday by lunch and production guy was going to process the pages and send them to the press.

I leave for lunch.

Come back from lunch and discover that he had deleted the larger of the two tabs, it was 20, the other 16 pages, by mistake.

He had overwritten the second tab with the first file's name when he went to hit save.

Super careless mistake but, luckily, I had made a low-res proof for the ad reps to check their ads and we can send that.

He does, except that causes more problems on the press end, all are super technical and I won't bother ya'll with them unless you ask, so the ad director flips out and wants me, no demands that I fix it. All by e-mail, as no one ever calls and says that this huge problem exists. I'm only aware of it because I'm super weird about checking my work email my phone and she was making a return and as I waited in the parking lot, I clicked the gmail app.

Of course the only way to fix it is rebuild the section and after a miserable 60 hours at the office, I come back for more on Saturday and rebuild the entire thing and have it sent that day so it could still be in the pre-run.

Of course I got overtime! but did anyone say thank you or good job?

Nope, the ad department actually complained to the publisher about me.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Qwitcherbitchin JF! Hard work is the hallmark of a good journalist for cripes sake.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Ours went swimmingly. Had the cover story to design over the final six hours. Period.

I know. Fuck me. :)

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Work smarter. Not harder. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted