1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

football tab cover photo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by millseyboy11, May 25, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you do any photo with players from multiple schools do it on a Sunday.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

We're planning on using the lesbian cheerleader angle this August. We'll have one cheerleader from two schools who are pretty big rivals in our area standing and kissing each other. A second way we're considering approaching it, is to shot the photo in a stall of a football lockerroom, in a cheap attempt to cash in on the incident in the bar a few years back with two Carolina Panther cheerleaders.We're expecting the male readership of our paper to shyrocket after the tab hits the stands.

3. millseyboy11

millseyboy11 Guest

Yeah, we did that last year, so that's why I needed ideas for a new cover.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

DO NOT DO THIS. It may create a wonderful news story for your paper and your competitors, but does it seem worth it? Plus, it's a felony in all 50 states.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but get 'em good and liquored up first

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've got to play favorites sometime. Look for the best kid, best story, best angle, something. If you shy away from doing something because it will piss people off, you are in the wrong business.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not if the star player is a Bengal. That's self-defense.

8. millseyboy11

millseyboy11 Guest

But if the player is a Bengal, isn't it racial profiling? I think I heard that somewhere.
    Anyway, thanks again for the ideas, being at a one-person desk, I don't have anywhere to go for ideas.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

We had a star receiver in our coverage area who was being chased by every D-IA school around. I got together with my photog and we came up with a brilliant idea to make it look like a video game cover. Each team we covered got a star player of theirs depicted in a football pose (a lineman down in a three-point stance, a quarterback ready to lob a pass, etc.) with a cool background that made it look like a Playstation game cover. It worked out rather well and I got a lot of kudos on it.

In other words, a star player is good, but try to jazz it up.

10. donaugust

donaugust Member

If you're bringing players from nine teams together, ponder how you're going to fit them all in the frame. Especially linemen.

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i've always wanted to do offensive lineman eating at an IHOP.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've always wanted to do "The Art of Freezing a Kicker at the End of Regulation."

Draft saved Draft deleted