1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

football stats questions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Oct 20, 2006.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

On a TD, give a first down IF THE FIRST-DOWN MARKER WAS PASSED ON THE PLAY in HS or college ball (the NFL now grants a first down on all TDs, even if it was a goal-to-go situation).

So, FB, were all of those one-play drives in the 54-0 game scored on goal-to-go situations? Otherwise, the number of first downs should be closer to 15.

(the 1940 Bears-Skins game might have used the now-archaic belief that a first down is not given on any touchdown ... only when the team lines up first-and-10).

ON PENALTIES ...

If the penalty is assessed BEYOND the line of scrimmage (e.g., LOS is the -30, penalty is assessed from the -35 back to the -25), it's scored as a 5-yard run for the RB, then a 10-yard penalty. It *does* count as a carry (that hasn't always been the case).

If the penalty is assessed BEHIND the LOS on the OFFENSE (e.g., LOS is the -30, flag is thrown at the -23 and the penalty is assessed back to the -13), *all* of the yardage is penalty yardage, so it's a 17-yard penalty.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Interesting distinction, Crimson. Does that hold for the NFL, college and high school?

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

well, I had always been told that on a hold it doesn't count as a carry because you replay the down, essentially meaning no play took place. Of course, that could very well be wrong, meaning I've always done it wrong.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Up until a couple of years ago, holding penalties behind the line of scrimmage were spot fouls and stepped off from the point of infraction, meaning a team could loose 12, 14, 17 yards. I'm glad that rule was changed.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you've got it wrong, then I've got it wrong, too. You can't charge someone for a rush attempt when still they have to replay the down. But the yards are there because they factor into the penalty.

6. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

quote author=Oz link=topic=33116.msg863217#msg863217 date=1161619061]
    If you've got it wrong, then I've got it wrong, too. You can't charge someone for a rush attempt when still they have to replay the down. But the yards are there because they factor into the penalty.
    [/quote]

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. By that logic, then if the rusher is stopped behind the line, then you'd also have to credit him with a loss and tack the penalty yards on. Maybe that's right, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I agree with the logic, but the NCAA stats manual was revised a couple of years ago to give the runner a carry on the play, even if the down is replayed.

It only comes into play on downfield holding calls in college/pro ball. In HS ball, holding penalties are still always marched from the point of the foul, so you can have a 2-yard run and a 10-yard penalty (if assessed +2 from the LOS), or a 12-yard penalty (if assessed -2 from the LOS).

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Try 10 yards.

First-and-goal means goal equals a first down/touchdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted