1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stats question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

BT, that would be an illegal forward pass, wouldn't it?

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Of course if NFL and NCAA RULES have any differences, you need to go with NCAA most of the time, because I believe Federation Rules and most states that don't go with Fed rules go by NCAA rulebook.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes, I realize that.

Was in a hurry last night because we were swamped at the office, and forgot to specify what happened.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nope, check the rules.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Read the post above yours.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

sort of apropos, there's a new beat guy on an nfl team beat who is already rubbed some colleagues the wrong way with his cockiness. anyway, during a special-teams punting practice, the youngin' was wowed, his binoculars on the field as he announced to all:

"wow, 45 yards on that punt! 43, not bad! 48 yards! man he's booming them."

wtf? others in the press box wondered why he was so impressed by pretty ordinary kicks. then they realized the newbie was tracking the length of the punts based upon where the punter kicked from -- what, maybe 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage -- not from the line of scrimmage itself.

dunno if anyone's corrected the kid yet. but i found it pretty funny, fwiw.

7. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Here's another one:

High school QBs downing the football to stop the clock. Is this an incomplete pass? I assume it is. I'm pretty sure that's how its recorded in college and pro football.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Under NCAA rules, it goes as a team pass attempt and is not charged to the individual. The same goes for taking a knee to run out the clock -- team rushing attempt.

This gets a little confusing because a qarterback could get credit for however many consecutive completions even when he spiked it two or three times on a drive.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

He knows; he just wanted everyone spinning their wheels for three hours or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted