1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football stats question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Aug 29, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Field goal is blocked, kid picks up ball and runs in for touchdown.

Does athlete get yards from scrimmage or from where he picked the ball up?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm wondering if this would go as a rush attempt or just go as a blocked kick return.

IIRC, I don't think it officially becomes a field goal attempt until the kick crosses the line of scrimmage. But I may be wrong on that.

I'm guessing its from where he picks the ball up (just like it would if it were a fumble).

But in all the games I've covered, I don't think I've ever had this situation.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

credited with return yards from where he gained possession.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So in the scoring summary, it's:

Jackson 35 blocked field goal return (Jones kick)

Right?

5. If he was 35 yards from the end zone when he recovered the ball. Seems like it should be much longer.

6. occasionally

occasionally Member

It's really "return of blocked field goal" (the return didn't get blocked, the field goal attempt did).
    Also, assume you're talking defense returns it, not offense.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Should have specified: The holder picked the ball up and ran in for a score.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tech: Johnson 35 return of blocked field goal.

No rushing yards. All return yards, from where he picked up the ball. Offense or defense, it's still a return of a blocked kick and thus not a run from scrimmage.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

FROM THE NCAA STATISTICS MANUAL
    It would be rushing yards from the point the holder recovered the ball.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

These are two very different things.

11. maberger

maberger Member

the nfl guide to statisticians says this:

Blocked Kicks
    When a punt or a field goal attempt is blocked and recovered by the offensive team behind the line of
    scrimmage, any running advance is treated as miscellaneous yardage.

In the rare case when the offensive
    player attempts a forward pass after a blocked kick, include it as a passing attempt and any completion
    as passing yardage. However, if the player is tackled behind the line of scrimmage do not treat this as
    yards lost attempting to pass. In the latter case, merely note the player recovered a blocked kick.

NOTE:
    Regardless of any subsequent action, the original blocked punt or field goal must be recorded.
    If a defender deflects a field goal attempt in such a manner as to make the field goal attempt
    unsuccessful, the field goal attempt is considered blocked. The impetus of the kick can travel beyond the
    line of scrimmage. Punts are only considered blocked if the punted ball does not go beyond the line of
    scrimmage.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would be surprised to see this treated as "return" yardage.

"Return" yardage always designates change of possession. The ball is headed in one direction and is "returned" in the other direction (either on a kickoff, or punt, or fumble, or interception).

Then again, "miscellaneous" sounds too vague. What if someone picked up the ball and passed for a touchdown. Do they not get credit for passing yards? Does the receiver not get credit for a catch?

Draft saved Draft deleted